1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless broadband

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by DustySox, Sep 27, 2004.

1. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

I would like to have wireless broadband around my home. What would be the best hardware for a "stable connection"? And also what are the security implications?

Kind regards

Darren

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not sure what you mean by "wireless broadband", am assuming you're referring to a WiFi router/hub connected to an ADSL/cable internet connection on the outside and a WiFi LAN on the inside.

There isn't really a 'best' these days, 801.11G (the 54Mb variant) is a commodity item, any one of D-Link, Linksys, Netgear or a myriad of others will all perform well.

Security is important as you say, you want to look for WPA see here for details on any wireless hub/access point you buy now, the older WEP is weak and depending on your vulnerbility to 'war driving' is not to be recommended. Also ensure the hub can disable SSiD broadcasting so you don't tell the world your network is there.

Finally, the ability to only access to specific MAC addresses is also a very good extra layer of protection.

3. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi, thankyou for your reply.

How does one go about connecting etc. You mention WiFi router/hub connected to an ADSL/cable internet connection on the outside and a WiFi LAN on the inside.

At the moment I have a Speedtouch 330. Would I still use this, or does it become redundant, and you connect WiFi router/hub? Is that everthing, or are there other components to connect?

Sorry for all questions, but I am in the front row of the classroom, and very willing to learn!

Regards

Darren

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Always happy to try to help, though I am not an expert on WiFi, I had one briefly but reverted to a wired network for throughput reasons.

The speed touch would be redundant I believe, replaced by an ADSL router/hub. I don't have ADSL myself (I have cable) so don't know details, but AIUI the router contains an ADSL modem which you connect to the BT line.

It then provides a Wireless Access Point which is how your WiFi-equipped PCs connect to the each other and the internest. Most routers also have RJ45 connectors for a wired LAN.

[edit]

After some thought I realised there are two types of router/hubs for ADSL, though with an integral modem and those without, I really couldn't advise which is better, if either, I wouldn't know how to choose a modem.

[another edit]

These are some examples of combined modems and routers, my own WiFi router was a Netgear.