Wireless broadband - virgin

panny_wannabe

Standard Member
Hi

I recently signed up to Virgin (phone line and broadband) and as i dont keep my PC anywhere near the phone point I presume I will have to buy a wireless router.

Being a bit of a thicko, can someone explain what is involved?

Am i right in saying i would connect the wireless router to the virgin cable box and then search for a wireless network on my pc?

The virgin cd/instructions do not mention "wireless" at all. :-(

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Yes. WAN port of router to cable box.
The router should be one sold as suitable for cable (not one with an ADSL modem in it).
Any wired connections go from PCs to one of the LAN ports of router.
Any wireless connections from PC's should find the router and use the router to connect them through to the internet.
You will need a (temporary) hardwired link from PC to router's LAN port to set up the router , initiate wireless security etc. That procedure should be in your router's manual.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

panny_wannabe

Standard Member
Yes. WAN port of router to cable box.
The router should be one sold as suitable for cable (not one with an ADSL modem in it).
Any wired connections go from PCs to one of the LAN ports of router.
Any wireless connections from PC's should find the router and use the router to connect them through to the internet.
You will need a (temporary) hardwired link from PC to router's LAN port to set up the router , initiate wireless security etc. That procedure should be in your router's manual.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

thanks Chris - job done!

:D

C

chumley1

Just as a heads-up panny, I have virgin media and they have now changed thier help telephone number for internet if you have a problem. They will tell you any general server problems i.e. work being done etc and so we are aware, in a recorded message, however if you have to contact them in regards your internet connection by way of help in checking anything out then the new number is now a 0906 number. I have these numbers on block from my telephone lol I think it's around 35p connection followed by 25p min.

I hope as you are a new customer you don't have to use this number for any help. I think you'll do just as well to ask in here if you do.

R

rednessa2

If the fault is with Virgin they will refund the cost of the call on the 25p a minute calls.

I know they do this because they've done it with me. I moved recently, they installed the cables but I couldn't connect to the internet.

I rang the 25p a minute phone line and they credited the cost of the call back to me because it was their fault the modem was not showing on their system.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom