Wireless Bridges

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by SBanga, Feb 3, 2009.

1. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi
    I'm looking to connect an Onkyo TX-NR906 receiver and Panasonic DMP-BD35 blu-ray player to the internet but, as they are both donwstairs and my router/modem upstairs, I was looking to use a wireless bridge to connect them both.

However, all the bridges I have seen so far only have a single ethernet connection or are ridiculously expensive. Are there any cheap bridges with multiple inputs out there that will do the job for me? I'm not too interested in a big brand name as it'll only get used occasionally and will be hidden from view.

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,726
    What do you mean by "ridiculously expensive?" I buy network switches that cost close to a thousand pounds a time without flinching, (spending other people money of course, :D ) but have seen people in here bemoan spending twenty pounds. This isn't as flippant a question as it might seem: If you identify your budget, respondents can make more informed recommendations.

You might also like to read the sticky about "homeplugs", lots of people here advocate them.

3. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You're right, I forgot that point! "Ridiculously expensive" was probably an exaggeration. I just meant that the ones I've seen cost as much, if not more than my router did (a Belkin N1 at £50). Ideally I'd like to spend under £30 if it's possible :suicide:

I have read up on Homeplugs in the past but they wouldn't work in my situation as I have all my kit connected through an "intelligent" spike protecting extension and a mains conditioner. There is no other plug socket behind my tv.

4. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Have a look on Amazon. Thirty quid including shipping.

5. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    How occasionally? Just for firmware updates? What about a long patch lead you throw down each time? A recent thread had a 30m lead for about £7 iirc.

6. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Which one are you referring to?

Firmware and using BD Java so I'd rather have a permanent solution.

7. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    1. Do a search on Amazon using Wireless Bridge as the arguments.

2. You do not need permanent connection for either. (In fact for the former I'd be surprised if you ever needed a connection.)

8. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The only cheap wireless bridges on Amazon seem to be for one ethernet connection. I need one that can handle two. Do you have a model number for the specific one you mean?

I'd rather keep them permanently connected wirelessly as attaching a long wire from upstairs each time is both untidy and a hassle to get to the back of my equipment.

9. t72bogie

t72bogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    "bridges" always cost more than routers - they use the same chipsets, but are sold in lower volumes = more expensive

thats why a lot of manufacturers dropped bridges from their ranges and just implented the functions into access points, so you run the AP in "client" mode or such like ...still some APs are more expensive than a basic router, again just because of volume

anyway, id try and find something used on ebay, but I dont know many bridges with multiple ethernet ports, so you end up with a wireless box + cheap 4 port switch, and a requirement for 2 power supplies :(

could be easier just to buy a pair of powerline adapters, with 4 port switch built in :smashin:

still a hundred quid though :(

NETGEAR XEB1004 85Mbps Homeplug 4-Port Ethernet Starter Kit

10. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  11. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
  12. t72bogie

t72bogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532

thats an access point, you need a client device, or wireless to ethernet bridge as they used to be called

most manufacturers just build the functionality into their access points these days, to keep production volumes up - check the manual on the Edimax and see if it supports "client mode" or such like ...I know the Netgear access points do, but they only have single ethernet ports ...I use one of those to do exactly what you want to - connect my Onkyo 905, my Tosh DVD and Panny BR, and Media player, all connect back to my network ...but I have 2 boxes behind the cupboard - a 4 port switch and a wireless access point...