Wireless Box IV as a Wireless Access Point

hobnob

Standard Member
Has anyone managed to set up their Wireless Box IV as a wireless access point? I've left o2 and moved to a home without a BT line, so currently running a cable modem.

Would be perfect if I could use the W B IV as I've found it to be an excellent router!

beerhunter

Novice Member
You won't be able to use it as a router but you ought to be able to use it as a Wireless Access Point. Connect a PC to it via Ethernet. Go into the settings, disable the DHCP server and then give it a new Fixed IP Address that is within the range of your Cable Router but not in it's DHCP pool. If you plug it into one of your Cable Router's Ethernet ports it will now act as a Wireless Access Point

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
You won't be able to use it as a router but you ought to be able to use it as a Wireless Access Point. Connect a PC to it via Ethernet. Go into the settings, disable the DHCP server and then give it a new Fixed IP Address that is within the range of your Cable Router but not in it's DHCP pool. If you plug it into one of your Cable Router's Ethernet ports it will now act as a Wireless Access Point
Ooooh-that's interesting.

I have an O2 Wireless II box sitting on a shelf gathering dust, so if I can use it as an access point elsewhere in the house to improve coverage that would be great.

I have ethernet connections in the living room, so I could tuck it away in there. :thumbsup:

beerhunter

Novice Member
I have an O2 Wireless II box sitting on a shelf gathering dust, so if I can use it as an access point elsewhere in the house to improve coverage that would be great.
I hope that you will share your success, or otherwise, with the forum.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Sorry, I completely forgot about this thread. :oops:

I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I'm looking in to it currently and will update you as & when.

mgjsmith

Standard Member
Having carried out a search for the very topic discussed above, I thought I would update this thread by saying that I have been successful in configuring the O2 Wireless Box IV as a Wireless Access Point. Seems to work fine so far.

allanmb

Standard Member
Can I ask how you got it to work? I have upgraded to Sky and use the Sky router to connect to the internet. I am hoping to use the old O2 box upstairs to give me more wireless coverage.

-I have given the O2 box it's own static internal IP (192.168.1.253) which is not on the DHCP of the Sky router.
- I have disabled DHCP on the O2 box
- I have disabled the firewall using the SuperUser account

I can plug in an ethernet cable to the O2 box and get connection fine, but if I try to connect via wifi I have problems. I can see the wifi interface and connect to it, but once I connect I have no internet. Using ipconfig shows the DHCP server and gateway are pointing to the correct IP (the Sky router) but when I type 'nslookup Google' I get nothing. If I try to navigate to Google via it's IP address directly I still get nothing. It is as if something is blocking the connection from wifi<->ethernet.

What am I missing?
Thanks
Allan

djcla

Distinguished Member
i seem to be having similar issues when i connect to it i have no internet access, im wondering if its the router as ive never had this issue before using other generic routers. Ill keep playing around and see how far i get.

djcla

Distinguished Member
Quick update

I have had this working on and off but it's not stable at all. It seems to require restarting every other day. I have a netgear doing a similar job and it's stable as a rock.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Ensure you connect the routers together using their "LAN" and not their "WAN/Internet" port.
You might care to read the "Using two router together" pinned in the Networking and NAS forum as a sanity check.

nicktech

Novice Member
I've just tried to set up my O2 wireless box 5 as an access point to extend my wifi signal from my kitchen to my bedroom.

I was trying to follow this YouTube video here:
But I can't understand how you guys are doing it and that video shows a Netgear router settings page which is completely different to the O2 wireless box settings page. There is no DHCP setting to toggle on/off and the "Easy Setup" wizard is what I'm guessing I need to do but can't get it to work with the relative IP addresses that the guy in the video has said. I've tried using them but maybe I've got it totally wrong.

I think I needed to go to Wireless Box -> Setup My Wireless Box. This brings up an "Easy Setup" wizard that asks for 'Static IP' and 'Default Gateway' which I tried a combination of the numbers. There is also a subnet mask which was already entered. Then the next screen asks for a primary DNS server which is also already entered so I just left that as default. There does not seem to be anywhere in the settings for the DHCP option, SSID or security. After entering all this it just times out.

Please can someone explain step by step what I need to do?

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Have a read of the "Using two routers together" FAQ pinned in the "Networking and NAS" forum.

It sounds like you are manipulating the Internet settings, however they are irrelevant if you are turning a router into an AP - you could set them to anything, they aren't used. The aforementioned FAQ covers the details but in brief, you need the change the LAN IP address so that it's part of the same subnet as your main router (and that's only for admin purposes - in use, it isn't used,) disable the DHCP Server (note "Server" not "Client" - your router almost certainly has both,) and cable to the rest of you network using a LAN and not a WAN/Internet port.

raymaco

Novice Member
This worked fine for me, to set up a 02 wireless box 4 as a wireless access point.

Plug the wireless box into a pc using a normal lan cable connected to any port except the old telephone/DSL port

1 Reset the box to factory default
2 log in to the box , its a lowercase case o in o2wirelessbox.lan and an upper case A in Administrator
3 navigate to homenetwork-interfaces-local networks-configure-uncheck DHCP, click apply
4 navigate to homenetwork-wireless-WLAN-configure to set up the wireless, click apply
5 navigate and disconnect broadband

The ip address can be left as 192.168.1.254 if it is outside the DHCP assigment range of the main router

power ciycle the o2wireless box

plug the cable from the main router into port of the o2wireless box

works perfect.

Only snag is you can't log back into the wireless box to change anything, probably something to do with DHCP which is beyond me