Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Wireless Audio

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by NicB, Jan 2, 2004.

1. NicB

NicB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've been trawling the forum looking for info or a recommendation for some wireless audio senders. There are quite a few posts about wireless rear speakers but nothing on sending a line level signal.

After finishing some major renovations/redecorating, SWMBO has decided that it would be nice to have music in the bathroom. Arrghh!! All the wiring has been buried in the walls/floors/ceilings and I now have no way of getting a cable from the source to the loft (where I have access to the bathroom walls and ceiling).

So my plan is to send a line level signal wirelessly to a two channel amp which reverts to standby when no signal is received. This can be hidden in the loft and drive the speakers. I can control volume and input selection at the source so this seems to me to be the best solution, though I am open to any other suggestions.

Therefore what I think I am looking for is an 'audio sender' which can send the audio signal to the amp at a reasonable level of quality (I accept that this is not ideal, but my choices are limited) and a recommendation on a cheapish (~£100/$150) two channel amp which will stay in standby until a signal is received.

Any help and pointers greatly received.

-Nic

2. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    yes i want to do something similar. check these links:

http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=110

http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/product_info.php+products_id+1410

http://www.broadcastwarehouse.com/p/BW/FM-Transmitters/LineX-FM-transmitter?pid=136

i haven't bought any of them yet, but i am leaning towards the lektropacks one as its cheaper and has a power supply rather than batteries. (It can be bought with transmitter and PSU minus headphones - given that the cost difference is then about £4, that says a lot about the quality of the headphones!). FM is the obvious choice as its low power, although your neighbours might pick up the signal. Some wireless solutions seem to use 2.4Ghz which is the same as wireless LANs which may cause problems if you have one. All you need in the bathroom is a regular FM radio!

Chris

3. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    the lektropacks one is a fixed frequency of 88.85mhz and the quality isnt very good. also its not DTI approved, and is for export only, so should be avoided. i've returned it - next on the list to try is the broadcast warehouse one! looks nice too :D