Question Wireless alternative to HDMI for 4k media playback from laptop to TV needed. Help!?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by samdavies, May 4, 2016.

1. samdavies

samdavies
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,724
    Hi guys,

I connect my 4k i7 Lenovo y50 laptop to my current Panasonic 50AX802 4k tv via a 3m HDMI cable for media playback via screen mirroring and output a 2160p @ 30hz signal. I'm totally happy with that, picture is great, no lag for video output and will pass audio up to 7.1 DTS MA HD / TrueHD.

Issue I'm now about to have is I've just bought a new Panasonic 58DX902 tv and with the size increase I need to move it further across the room to make it fit, meaning that connecting to the laptop via a cabled connection is no longer possible.

I need a stable way (so that's a no to WiDi/miracast/chromecast) to mirror my laptop screen/media to my tv wirelessly in 4K, preferably via a hdmi port on the tv, in a way that I don't have to physically go into windows 10's "connect a wireless display" option every time I want connect the screen. Ideally so that when I go to that HDMI input on the TV the laptop screen will just appear the same as it does now.

Money isn't really an issue, even though I don't want to spend a fortune. I don't mind if it's an adapter connection or another entire 4k media player box etc.. It just has to output in 4k and preferably mirror my entire laptop screen.

If not mirror it, then it must at least manage to play back every single bloody video file I can throw at it via nice UI (preferably wirelessly streamed from my laptop SSD, but I can live with an external HDD connection) like my laptop would. This will need to include 2160p 10bit HEVC H.265 files with 7.1 DTS-HD MA / Dolby TrueHD audio. HDCP 2.2 would be helpful too i suppose, but not a necessity.

Basically I want exactly the same experience as I am currently getting (if I could get 2160p 50/60hz instead of 30hz even better), just without the physical HDMI cable connection. Any suggestions?

Cheeers :thumbsup:

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Doesnt exist and is not likely too.
    There are no reliable wireless HDMI solutions for 1080p let alone 2160p.

The bandwidth is too much, any solutions out there are lossy and laggy, and prone to constant dropouts.
    You have to go wired for quality connections.

3. samdavies

samdavies
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,724
    Not surprised as haven't been able to find anything appropriate.
    I suppose I'm going to have to go for a 4k media player like the roku or Nvidia Shield etc..

My main issue with that is a external media player being able to access video files over wifi/ethernet rather than me physically having to transfer everything i download from my laptop over to another bloody player. I've seen a 'plex' option thrown about but i've not used that before and have no idea how well it handles 4k video or lossy audio.

4. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Wifi will not work you will need physical cables from whatever stores your media to the player and from the player to the TV

5. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    Most people have issues with wifi and 1080p so I'd say you're going to need to hard wire it or try homeplugs.

6. Thomfam

Thomfam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Keep the shorter HDMI lead but purchase a small wireless keyboard. Logitech K400 would suit your purpose. Or try just using a wireless mouse from your chair to your computer.

7. chris57

chris57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Like everyone else says forget WiFi where you can for media playback. Best idea is for wifi keyboard etc.

It's not just a speed issue its the fact that losing one packet results in an issue.

8. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,126
    Remember that the wireless HDMI extenders often end up compressing the video to get it in the bandwidth available which reduces quality.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,231
    You mention 'HD Audio' which suggests the Laptop is going via an AVR?

Joe