Answered Wireless Aerial

Pigmy

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Apologies if I've got this in the wrong forum - please re-direct me if that's the case.

A couple of years ago I had a conversion built and was smart (ish!) enough to get a TV antenna Antenna socket professionally wired into the corner of the room, just in case we wanted a TV in there in the future. Well, now the kids are a bit more grown up and we are looking to put a TV on the wall, however its going to be in the opposite corner from the socket. We are mostly going to be using it for catch up TV so 90% of the time the smart TV we are planning will be suffice and won’t need an aerial however there is the likelihood that we will use it occasionally for watching “live” TV. So I have a few options:-
  1. Do without an antenna and don’t watch any “live”
  2. Run a long cable around the room to connect it to the socket. Its an open plan room so this is a looooong way but is possible
  3. Fit a new socket – this is a huge job as the wall its going on its constructed of side-laid breeze blocks (15”?)
I can’t go up as it’s a conservatory roof and can’t go under the boards as its solid wood boards glued to concrete.

I was wondering if there is anything on the market where I could effectively capture the signal from the existing socket and project that locally to the TV using something like Bluetooth. I have really strong wireless throughout the house so it seems a shame not to be able to piggy-back the signal onto that somehow.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated

Thanks

It is illegal to retransmit a TV rf signal. You could connect a Freeview box at the aerial point and connect it to a AV sender arrangement.

Thanks for that - it answers why there is nothing on the market which I was a bit surprised about.

I've come up with another option of using an indoors aerial. There seem to be some reasonably stylish ones out there at the moment.

Thanks for taking the time to post

Regards

Thanks for that - it answers why there is nothing on the market which I was a bit surprised about.

I've come up with another option of using an indoors aerial. There seem to be some reasonably stylish ones out there at the moment.

Thanks for taking the time to post

Regards

You would have to be in a very strong signal area for an indoor aerial to work.

Oh, that's wiped the smug grin off my face! I have a booster in my loft for my main aerial as the signal round here is pretty weak.

Oh, that's wiped the smug grin off my face! I have a booster in my loft for my main aerial as the signal round here is pretty weak.

You may be able to fit a second aerial for the other TV. A tiny log periodic can be surprisingly effective depending on your location.

Enter your postcode here and post the detailed reception figures

Digital UK Industry - The postcode coverage checker

If the TV is on a wall that happens to face the transmitter (you may have more than one possibility) then drilling through the wall and fitting a small log might do it.

ATV`s Choice Of Aerials for digital TV

You may want to consider a more technical solution. A IP based Freeview network streamer connected to your router. I have one with a 2TB recording hard drive in the study.

eg (I have the Freeview version)

VBox | UK Freeview and Freesat to IP - Network TV Tuner and PVR

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom