1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless ADSL with Firewall

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Big Jim, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Afternoon,

I am setting up a new DSL connection for a couple of friends, and need a bit of help on the hardware recommendations.

I was planning on getting the el-cheapo Oringo dsl wireless router from ebuyer, but it doesn't have a firewall on, and given that the users are non-computer savvy I would rather sort them out with it really locked down.

What would you recommend for something cheap with 11b wireless, dsl modem, firewall, router.

no other ethernet ports needed. It will be used wirelessly only.

Thanks

2. relevant

relevant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've built my own ADSL router, using an old PC that would otherwise have been thrown out.

Everything was stripped out of the old PC except (1) CD-ROM drive, (2) Interface for ADSL connection and (3) Network card for home LAN.

I built a very small OS out of linux and saved it onto a bootable CD-ROM. The OS does nothing more than (a) bring up the ADSL connection (and keep it alive), (b) bring up the network connection, (c) route across the two connections and (d) implement a firewall. This is the one tricky job, but perseverence brings success.

To bring the ADSL connection up you switch the PC on. To bring it down, you switch it off. Simple.

I have a wireless hub plugged into the LAN. This bridges any wirelessly connected PC onto the LAN and works fine.

The main downsides of this setup are (i) it took me a while to sort out the router OS, (ii) its not that easy to re-configure it (e.g. if you change ISPs, which I have done twice) and (iii) the firewall I implement doesn't allow any inbound connections (i.e. network software on a PC on the LAN can only connect to the Internet in client mode). On the other hand, I trust it and have found it 100% reliable over the 2 years I've been using it.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Linksys router are great you cant beat a hardware firewall!!! I have the wireless version of the BEFSR41 (the hard wired unit i used to have!!!!) this one is great 802.11b and 4 port ethernet router as well ideal for when i get online consoles up and running!!! there is a version ith an ADSL modem built in which i dont need as i am on Cable Linksys highly reconmended

4. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  5. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies chaps,

I've been off line for a few days and will be again till the weekend probably - new bathroom fun and games...

The pc option would be fine for me, but they will have it in the front room on show, so it's unfortunately a non starter.

Where can you get that draytek one in the uk?
    In an ideal world dlink\Linksys etc would be the way to go, but the cash is a bit tight. It needs to be sub £100 really.