Wireless ADSL Network Question

M

mjones0

I wanted to connect two PCs to an ADSL line with a router and wireless network, so my brother and I can play online at the same time. I’m a bit unsure what I need and would be very grateful for some advice. Would this D-Link wireless router be okay?

http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info3-info.asp?&m=y&quicklinx=2B9N

And then I’d just need two of these wireless access cards?

http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info3-info.asp?&m=y&quicklinx=24JR

One other thing, we want to split the bandwidth evenly so if one of us is downloading a large file it won’t adversely effect the other’s ping. Is it possible to set it up so the bandwidth is split evenly and each PC can only use up to 256Kbps?

Thanks in advance for the help

yes - that set up will provide u with all u need to connect both computers togther and both have access to the internet.

as for bandwith restriction - no

You need a different setup to do that.
Either an intelligent switch or gateway that supports prioity and bandwidth restriction - or a computer used as a gate way with appropraite software.

Thanks for the help. I've ordered the router and two cards.

It's a shame it won't let me limit the bandwidth but I'm sure we'll be able to live with it.

Thanks again.

Hi Guys
Is Wireless fast enough for games? I have the same situation in our house with my pc connected to the usb adsl modem and then a cable connection to my brothers pc for internet shareing and games. My ping on halflife UK servers go's from 1 player at 40 or so upto 150-200 if both of us are playing. If wireless can give the same speeds or so i'd prob up-grade as the cable is a bit untidy due to my recultance to drill through walls.

Cheers
General Panic

Originally posted by General Panic
Hi Guys
Is Wireless fast enough for games? I have the same situation in our house with my pc connected to the usb adsl modem and then a cable connection to my brothers pc for internet shareing and games. My ping on halflife UK servers go's from 1 player at 40 or so upto 150-200 if both of us are playing. If wireless can give the same speeds or so i'd prob up-grade as the cable is a bit untidy due to my recultance to drill through walls.

Cheers
General Panic

Yes its plenty fast enough - especially for HL and asscoiated mods ( I'm a major CS'r btw ;) )
Having a seperate gateway rather than using one of the games pc's will also help abit - your pc is dealing with playing the game and also negotiating both pc's ip traffic and controlling the usb modem ( usb modems use a small amount of cpu time ) -- all that can add up to a slight amount of lag during heavy frame rate sections on games.

I don't use wireless myself, I use a seperate router setup with an internal 100mb network - wireless is not as fast , but more than adequate for the purposes of line sharing to a net pipe - as the internet connection is many times slower than your internal wireless lan can handle.

Cheers Ethics

General Panic

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom