Wireless Adapter Question

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Gordie, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Gordie

Gordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Netgear Starter Kit with an ADSL2+ modem router and USB Adapter.

I don't migrate to my new ISP until Friday, so I am keeping it until then. Just wanted to ask though, Do I install the adapter first, or do I install the router first with the ethernet cable and then the adapter - allowing me then to remove the ethernet cable?

Thanks
    Gordie

2. a4lloxo

a4lloxo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    in my expierience you have to install the router by cable first as the wireless feature is off by default.is it a dg834pn by any chance?

3. jaydee999

jaydee999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    IMHO it's always much easier to set up a router via cable first.
    The physical connection usually means the connection happens quickly and easily, allowing you to then configure the router however you want it. I would then try to use the adapter in a second PC (if you have one) to set up the wireless aspect on that one, with the "base" PC still hard-wired, in case you get teething problems that you need to tweak. Once that USB adapter is configured properly within the router (e.g. using MAC filtering for extra security), you can then use it on any PC once you have installed the driivers for it. If you only have the one PC, then I would still do the same, but you should remove the ethernet cable before installing the USB adapter, otherwise I think you may get IP conflicts.

4. Gordie

Gordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys

Its a DG834Gv3 with a WG111v2 adapter.