• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Wireless adapter cannot see my wireless network on XP, yet works fine on Windows 7.

MrRenton

Standard Member
Plugging in the adapter in my Windows 7 machine shows 5 available networks, including my own, the one i'm trying to connect to.
However, on a different machine with XP (with same device and fully up to date drivers) it can only see one wireless connection - BTFON (A payasyougo wireless service in the UK)
I cannot understand how this has happened - it clearly works as it can see one of five networks, but seems to ignore the rest. I have tried reinstalling the drivers, using WZC and even moved the XP machine right next to the router. Nothing works. And yet my W7 computer upstairs can see and connect as easily as anything.

The device is a Belkin f5D7051 USB adapter.

Any help would be appreciated.
Pete

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Start by running inSSIDer on the bad machine. If it can't see the local networks I'd go for a hardware (or maybe a driver) fault. If inSSIDer can see the local networks, take another look at your software.

You can check out hardware by trying to 'move the fault'. In this case install the USB adapter on the good machine. If it still fails bin it.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom