Wireless Adapter as Access Point Help

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by adda, Jan 3, 2007.

1. adda

adda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi, I have a spare wireless usb adapter that I thought I would try and set up at work as a Wireless Access point the same way the nintendo usb thing works. I wasnt sure whether it was possible and I am no expert but after a bit of searching and askin an IT mate who was also dubious at first I have got to the point where the ds is recognising the adapter as an access point but Im getting an error actually connecting. This is the article I followed to get me to this stage.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx
    After following the setup yesterday i am now having trouble making the adapter "active" again and its status is showin greyed out.

Has anyone else tried to do this and had any success? I'm sure there are a few of us that would find this quite handy.

On another note, if I can get this working and then use the opera browser do you think the ds would bypass the works security settings (websense) closing off about 80% of the internet?

Cheers for any help, thoughts, tips :)

2. INSOMANiAC

INSOMANiAC
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I dont knopw about all that but if i unplug my official nintendo dongle, it too greys out and is unusable until i reinstall it.

3. adda

adda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    cheers mate, ive just tried it again, deleted all settings in the wifi set up, looked for access point, the ds finds it but then cannot connect and the wireless network shows as not connected. i think it is "enabled" but something is not right with the connection settings.
    got error code 51300 but cant check it at work :(

thanks anyway

4. INSOMANiAC

INSOMANiAC
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    something to do with 'cant renew ip adress' i think

Iassume youve set internet connection sharing on the main conenction and set everything to automatic

5. adda

adda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    yes mate, set as shared and tried auto and manual settings. maybe it can't be done but its annoying gettin this close! cheers

6. wardi

wardi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ensure its WEP and not WPA and also ensure its on 'all devices' and not just 'G only' or something like that, a couple of things that tripped us up!

Not 100% but there is the nintendo wifi site which you can enter the codes into, check here
    http://www.nintendowifi.co.uk/customersupport/troubleshoot.do?error=51300&x=9&y=0

There are also a few communities that may be able to shed some more light onto the issue if needs be. Its a bit of a jumble but some of it does make sense

http://www.animalcrossingcommunity.com/boards.asp?BoardID=98

7. INSOMANiAC

INSOMANiAC
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Its quite incredible how out of date that website is, it still shows the old ds and most of the wifi games arent even mentioned, just the first batch !

8. adda

adda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers Wardi for the links and info, I'll have a look tonight and try again tomorrow. At least I know its possible ! :thumbsup:

9. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,145
    To confirm my suspicions, I just had a peek at the other Nintendo Wifi sites. Predictably, the North American and Japanese sites are all bang up to date.

We're not on our own though, the other European pages look like they've only been touched once. On a brighter note, the Australian and New Zealand sites wouldn't even load properly. At least we're not at the absolute bottom of the pile.