1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless @ 108Mbps

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by richjthorpe, Jun 13, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

been looking at routers and gateways that offer wireless capabilities and have seen a number of them with 108Mbps capabilities. A friend of mine told me that the way they get these speeds is by compressing the data at first, send it to the receiver and then decomresses it, meaning that there is a lag when compressing/depcompressing the data so it's not twice the speed.

Is this still true or do these new routers actually run at a theoretical 108Mbps ?

Cheers,

Richie.

2. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does it through compression, packet bursting and framing techniques, however, I think its all none standard super/hyper/turbo 802.11G so if you have a mixed environment, the router will run at the lowest device speed.

Is it twice the speed? probably not, but then wireless bandwidth claims have always been generous :)

3. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Unless you go with PreN which has a real world throughput much higher than "g". You can also use "a,b or g" without it slowing down to the lowest common denominator.

Steve

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I spent a whole weekend trying to stream ripped DVD's via a 108mbps connection - and failed! Okay with low bitrate stuff, but useless with high bitrate. DLink support told me that 108mbps was a theoretical maximum and would only get that bandwidth in 'ideal situations', I guess that means if they are next to each other, or connected with a cable ;)

Anyway - thought I would share my experience......

lisa

5. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I can stream DVD no problem anywhere in the house via a Belkin Pre-N router and the "g" card in my Sony Vaio. If you put a Pre-N card in as well you would get seriously quick throughput.

Steve

6. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Sadly the quoted figures for wireless tech. are terribly misleading. A rule of thumb of around 1/2 is a good place to start, and matches what I've seen in real life (11Mpb ~= 6Mbps, 54Mbps ~= 25Mbps).

As I understand it, they are quoting the data transfer rate of the underlying protocol - but error correction and retransmission eat heavily into the data transfer rate that is achieved at the end-user level (e.g. TCP transfer rates). Such is life - a 20Gb drive never provides 20Gb of usable storage either.

Compression won't help here either - streaming media is usually heavily compressed already so there are no further gains to be made.

And environmental conditions will make each installation unique. Just a car driving past the house will kill throughput for me for a couple of seconds so while 54Mbps should be plenty for DVD streaming (for example), I can't actually get through an entire DVD without a glitch or two. So a bit like Freeview in that respect ;)

Cheers, Carl.

7. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Oh ... and it does depend on how you're streaming your DVDs.

I've found that, for example, ripping to a folder thats then shared (through Windows File sharing) is a poor solution when you've got marginal bandwidth available. The SMB protocol has quite high overhead (seems to almost half the throughput when I use it ... although I'm sure it can't be *that* bad).

Streaming over HTTP is a much better alternative since it's there's such a low overhead (either use VLC as a streaming server, or Apache setup to share a folder fulll of movies) - changing from SMB to HTTP was enough to make streaming almost workable for me, apart from the passing motorists.

Cheers, Carl.

8. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Well, I gave up - sent the wireless stuff back, and layed a long network cable through the house - a right pain, but now it's in everything works seamlessly, consistently and how it should...

9. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Was that the PreN stuff I recommended awhile back from Novatech,if it was I'm surprised as I can stream Nebula TV and DVD's to my laptop without any probs

10. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can stream DVDs ripped to hard drive in VIDEO_TS format to my tablet anywhere in the house and garden with no lag on my Netgear 108MB Router to Tablet PC with 54MB (Intel wireless)

Works a treat :)

11. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    No, it wasn't, I did look into the Pre-N stuff, thanks for pointing that out to me. It was to stream from two PC's downstairs to an xbox upstairs and Dlink was the only 108mbps wireless bridge I could find, so I matched it with a DLink 108mbps router.

I have got an old house with thick walls, and lots of electronics, maybe that doesn't help. Once I connected a 20 metre network cable it all instantly worked perfectly, so decided to use that option instead.

lisa

12. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    I've had no luck streaming freeview over 54g (via a Nebula card), and have given up. When I have managed to get it working, it seemed to depend on the bitrate of the broadcast (ie. some channels were OK, others weren't). I'll try again when Nebula bring out the new v3.5 software.