Wired to wireless help needed.

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by RBear, Feb 12, 2009.

1. RBear

RBear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may be a long story so hope youve got your popcorn :D

I live in a shared house and had a 2mb VM line plumbed in a coupla years ago, in with the rent is VM's cable tv, now the PACE box packed up about 6 months ago but considering i dont watch much tv i never bothered to get it sorted.

So sitting behind my tv is the little black wired modem, which granted was ok when i had my pc but ive now got rid of that and bought a Samsung NC10 and want to take advantage of its wireless capabilities, a pal of mine had VM wireless package and switched to Sky so he sold me the router (Netgear WGR614 v9), albeit without the setup disc which he had lost, although some browsing of other boards seems to tell me that this disc may not be essential.
    So bearing in mind i have absolutely no clue what im doing and have never wired up a wireless connection before could some kind soul please explain a) if it is indeed possible to get this setup to run wireless somehow, and
    b) how i do it.

Eternal gratitude and a months supply of wine gums will be forthcoming to anybody that can help me without making me throw my laptop through the bedroom window.

2. ntkernan

ntkernan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you will need internet access for the pc as you will need to download a driver for the modem router, available from the manufacturer, though vista or xp will find it it self you will need the ip address to access the router to set it up, your isp may be able to help and will provide you with all the settings you need ( have a pen handy as there will be a bit of information to take down) they may have it on there home page to print off.