• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Wired Router

Maverick567

Established Member
Hi All,

I am looking for recommendations for a half decent wired only router that I can use along side a Vigor 130 router and BT Whole Home. I currently have FTTC however within the next 12 months I will be getting FTTP so want something thatcan work with both. I have had very poor results with SKY’s hub and want to try and get away from ISP kit.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
I think the Vigor 130 is a modem, not a router.

Personally, I would wait until you've changed ISP and see what the supplied kit is like rather than pre-judge it sight unseen, but as the saying goes it's you dime. The termination the new ISP installs in your home may also affect what kit you can use with it.

Tim at a US site called SmallNetBuilder reviews and tests a fair bit of SOHO equipment and does a much better job than many of objectively testing it. It also tablutates his results by various performance metrics. You could do worse than look there.

cjed

Prominent Member
The Draytek Vigor 130 is a ADSL/VDSL modem. You could replace it with a Draytek Vigor 2762 which supports both direct ADSL/VDSL and Ethernet WAN connection. This would allow you to switch to use whatever modem is supplied with FTTP, but keep to a single box. I currently run a Draytek Vigor 2762N with the WiFi AP turned off along with a BT Whole Home set of APs.

I particularly like the Draytek's built in VPN server, and it's rich feature set.

Maverick567

Established Member
Has anyone used the EdgeRouter X? Seems to tick the boxes but I don’t want to purchase something that can’t deal with the same throughput of FTTP?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom