Wired router advice needed for beginner..

stevewestern

Established Member
Reaction score
I live in a large old house with very thick walls, so want to set up a basic wired network - I THINK...??!
I have 2 pc's, a NAS and a laptop. I want to have both pc's hard wired, be able to print from the one downstairs using the printer that is connected to the upstairs pc, store pictures and music on both, plus be able to access the internet. I also want to be able to do the same wirelessly via the laptop if possible. So, how do I do this..? What do I need to buy ?
I have never had a network before, and am no great computer wizard, so please speak loud and clear, and in simple terms...
I have no idea if it makes any difference but I am in Spain, so am not using any of the usual providers, and as for broadband - forget it - we have just gone up to a max of 256, despite having paid for 512 for the last year..!
Thanks for any help,
Steve

Well as the title of your thread says, you need a router, now depending on what connection you have ADSL / Cable you'll need to get the correct type, maybe you could speak to your ISP and see if they can give you a free router, it's always worth a try!

Basically if all your computers are connected to the router, either directly, or via a switch* (cable from router to switch - then to other pc's from switch) they will be able to access the internet, also providing you have windows file & printer sharing set up you will be able to share your files and printer!
You can right click on folders and set up their sharing & security settings, same applies for the printers I believe.

As for wireless, if you get a wireless router the laptop willl be able to connect directly to that, if you don't gave one then you will need a wireless access point*, but try get a wireless router if possible, it's just easier!

Good luck with your network, any more questions just ask :smashin:

*note the links to items aren't necessarily the best, just examples of what would do the job you require.

Iccz,
Thanks for that..!
I appreciate your time and effort - sadly, for you, you said to feel free to ask further questions, so here I go......
Firstly, we get our internet via a microwave system, as there are no land lines here - our phone is a radio phone even ! It is ASDL (whatever that means) - do I just need to get an ASDL router, or is it more complex than that ?
Why would I need a switch - what does it do - I assume it switches signals from one pc to another, but you suggest I might not even need one. Looking at your link, it seems like a box that I would put near the in-comng cable with the internet signal, which is beside the pc upstairs, then I connect the pc, and then run a cable down from the switch to the pc downstairs where I also have the wireless access point - that sound about right ?
Lastly, you suggest I try a wireless router and forget the above - what sort of range do they have, when it comes to thick wall - any idea ?
I am coming back to London tomorrow for 2 days of hospital appointments, so not much free time, but I do have time to order something and get it delivered if I can find out what I need..
My walls are about 450-500mm thick, though the floors are only thin - does that sound like a big task for a wireless router ?
Many many thanks, and sorry to be asking so many questions at once..
Cheers
Steve

...and just to add, what doI look for in a wireless router - I am looking at ebuyers routers right now, and there are some at £20 odd, and others at £70 odd - what do I need (I do know I am asking you lots more than you may have wanted to help with, so feel free to ignore me on this..!)
We also get fairly frequent power cuts, and one basic router I just read about says that settings get lost if the power goes - I don't want too much messing about redoing them every time...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I don't know what your Internet provider out there in Spain is like, here most ISP's if you contact them will have Wireless routers in abundance, and will happily send you one if you're a new customer or have been with them for a while.

If you are receiving ADSL then yes you need an ADSL router, wireless would be best as it saves the need for a wireless access point, unless of course you have problems with signal strenght.
It depends where your router will be (obviously it's where your line comes in) in relation to where you wish to use the laptop wirelessly. You can test strenght of the router by using your laptop in different rooms, you usually get around 50M indoors, but it all depends on intereference and walls. Best thing to do is try it. If you don't get the signal you want then place a wireless access point where best suits your needs - but it might not even be necessary. But all you'd do is run a cable from your router to where you want the access point and plug the cable into that, then you connect to that wirelessly.

Most routers come with a switch built in, which basically allows you to plug in say 4 network cables (your main internet cable goes into the back in the WAN port), if you require more LAN ports then you may want to buy a switch.

A switch is just a hub for increasing the amount of computers you can put on the network to communicate with each other. You would only really want a switch if you need more computers to connect to your router than the number of ports it has.

As long as all wires make their way back to the router you'll get internet connectivity, and if all computers are connected to the router they will in theory be able to see each other and share files and printers together.

Powercuts generally don't do much to most routers, some if the power drops and comes up quickly might need restarting just to get them going again.

this router might be ideal for you as it's not overly high priced and has good range, though there will probably be better people to ask about what router to get than me as I generally avoid wireless as my house is all cabled.
There are a lot of people on here who'll be better able to help you with choice of a wireless router.

I'd try speaking to your ISP first see if you can get a free one from them, if not then ask on here into the best wireless router for your needs.

Sorry if my post repeats itself or doesn't make much sense, they usually don't while im at work :suicide:

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Sir Iccz,
For a man who is hard at work, you seem to be doing amazingly well at helping me - Thanks !
Unless there are other replies, I'll try to get one of the routers you suggest and see what happens - I won't hold you responsible if it doesn't, but I will thank you again for your help !
As for a free router - Pah ! - trying to get anything free out here is nigh on impossible - there is no choice of provider here - I have my receiver 200 metres up a hill, with a cable running down to the house - it took me 3 days to dig holes, concrete in the posts, then run a steel hawser and the cable down to the house, to lift it out of goats eating reach. It also cost me over 300 euros for the cable. I now get, and think myself lucky, a basic level of internet which fails any time we get rain, cloud or too much sun (like we had no internet for best part of the summer due to the weather..) Meanwhile, I pay £40 a month for the privilage. My alternative is to move to another house, pay £20,000 or so to get a land line, which might take a year or two. Whenever it goes wrong, I call the helpline, who tell me there is no problem at their end, and to get my antenae checked. As it then works again later that night, it can't be either the antenae or my pc, but that doesn't wash with them - we are in a rural area, and it is the price we pay...
The weather isn't all its cracked up to be either - too hot in summer, too wet and cold in winter, and the houses are so so very cold. Wouldn't change it though - my kids are in classes of 8 and 9 per class, and the last theft in our area was about 25 years ago when there was a small famine - a few hungry people came and dug up a few cabbages and onions. Cars are never locked, and houses rarely. My kids are bi-lingual and happy, and we have a big old house and no mortgage - no income either, but that is another story...
Thanks again,
Steve - not at work, looking after the kids while it is raining outside..!

Sir Iccz,
For a man who is hard at work, you seem to be doing amazingly well at helping me - Thanks !
Unless there are other replies, I'll try to get one of the routers you suggest and see what happens - I won't hold you responsible if it doesn't, but I will thank you again for your help !
As for a free router - Pah ! - trying to get anything free out here is nigh on impossible - there is no choice of provider here - I have my receiver 200 metres up a hill, with a cable running down to the house - it took me 3 days to dig holes, concrete in the posts, then run a steel hawser and the cable down to the house, to lift it out of goats eating reach. It also cost me over 300 euros for the cable. I now get, and think myself lucky, a basic level of internet which fails any time we get rain, cloud or too much sun (like we had no internet for best part of the summer due to the weather..) Meanwhile, I pay £40 a month for the privilage. My alternative is to move to another house, pay £20,000 or so to get a land line, which might take a year or two. Whenever it goes wrong, I call the helpline, who tell me there is no problem at their end, and to get my antenae checked. As it then works again later that night, it can't be either the antenae or my pc, but that doesn't wash with them - we are in a rural area, and it is the price we pay...
The weather isn't all its cracked up to be either - too hot in summer, too wet and cold in winter, and the houses are so so very cold. Wouldn't change it though - my kids are in classes of 8 and 9 per class, and the last theft in our area was about 25 years ago when there was a small famine - a few hungry people came and dug up a few cabbages and onions. Cars are never locked, and houses rarely. My kids are bi-lingual and happy, and we have a big old house and no mortgage - no income either, but that is another story...
Thanks again,
Steve - not at work, looking after the kids while it is raining outside..!

Sounds like a lot of hard work to get the internet!
Well best of luck with your networking venture, i'm sure it'll all work out grand.

No mortgage and a crime free life abroad in a big house, sounds ideal to me!

Well, to add to the fun, I have been trying to email the support department of my provider, and it appears they have exceeded their limits today, so my emails are getting returned..!
At times, life in London seems appealing..
As for the big house - it is big compared to the hut we used to have, and needs so much work, but yes, crime free and mortgage free is good - enough for food would be nice though... (wages here are a quarter of what they are in the UK,plus there is almost no work at all..)

Last edited by a moderator:
WEll, I got a reply in the end, but does this make sense to anyone ?
I am non the wiser as to if the chosen router will do the job - they said -

Iberbanda does not provide wireless connection, but connection of local area across cable of network RJ45. That is why Iberbanda does not give technical support to these equipments. Anyway a lot of of clients of Iberbanda have installed wireless routers (of the brand CISCO, ZYXEL or VIGOR, some of them) for diverse motives such as the wireless connection in strict sense or connecting more than one computer. The only information that we can tell you for the configuration of this equipment, is that it must have connection ethernet for DHCP server and that it must obtains the ip addresses automatically, as the DNS server , unless you have a fixed ip address contracted with us.
Regards
Helpdesk
Iberbanda SA

The chosen router is this one -

D-Link DIR-655 Wireless N Gigabit Firewall Router - IEEE 802.11n Compliant - 300Mbps - 10/100/1000Mbps - 4-port switch

D-Link DIR-655 Wireless N Gigabit Firewall Router: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

AS always, many thanks for any suggestions !
Cheers
Steve

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
going by the sound of their email you dont really want an adsl router, if you get an adsl one it will mean telling it there is no adsl (sounds like your line is enternet in) - i could be wrong here, best thing to do is check what the cable coming into your house is, is it a smaller like a phone type connector (RJ11) is it a wider like a pc network (RJ45) type connector?
If RJ11 then yes ADSL router, if RJ45 then you need a cable router like this one.

You could do it with an adsl router if you set the router up to not having an ADSL connection coming into it then plugging your existing modem into that then having your other connections come off it. But it would obvioulsy be a lot easier to get yourself the correct router. You might want to start a "what wireless cable router" or adsl if depending on the line coming in, just to make sure you're getting a good router for thick walls etc - maybe someone else has a similar situation and experience with it.

If once you get your router and can't figure out what to do just start a new thread on here and im sure someone will help out with that.

Once again you are helping me out - I do have RJ45 connectors, will look at the link you sent, but wil also get a local man in Spain to come and check first, as it may be easier and avoid buying the wrong thing...
Thanks again,
Steve

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom