1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wired or wireless?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by ADC, Jan 22, 2005.

1. ADC

ADC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    had my x-box a couple of weeks now and having nearly completed HALO (dont laugh i'm a new starter) i now want to go live. I have HALO2 with the starter kit but i now need a router. As the title states Wired or Wireless is there any difference. Apart from the obvious lack of wires on the wireless version!
    Also are there still problems with AOL and XBOX live. I read some bad press some time ago and wondered whether it is still going on.
    If there are still problems are there any recommended broadband providers that dont have issues?
    Thanks in advance

2. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Both wired & wireless transmit data way in excess of the speed you need for your internet connection so providing you have a reasonable signal from your router there will be no real difference. If you have a poor signal though you can lose packets (basically bits of the information being sent from the router to the X-Box) through the wireless transmission and these then need to be resent thus slowing down the connection.

Linksys routers work great and although I have a wireless router my Xbox is hard wired to it. I run two laptops off the router on wireless though and get a good signal everywhere in the house with no drop in internet speed. :thumbsup:

3. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well this is the crux of the matter. Its not the speed of the connection thats the issue. Its lost data packets and signal stregth.

Bascially however good your wireless connection is you will always loose some packets, this is no problem if you are surfing the web or downloading. Its a massive issue if you are playing games as missing packets = Lag.

Also if you have a wireless connection you should encrypt the data (WEP), apparently this puts a considerable overhead on the data trasmsission and thus connection performance.

I have a decent understanding of networking, I have played with wireless in terms of gaming and although it works you definately get a much better gaming experience with a hardwired connection. In the end I just bought another xbox for £50 so I could easily connect it to my BB modem. If I had done this originally I would have saved a load of cash on the now redundant linksys wireless bridge I purchased.

Wireless is great for my laptop but its not there yet in terms of gaming as far as I am concerned.

The first thing to remember is that you dont use BT under any circumstances. I would never use a provider that has a cap on usage. Cable providers are normally good if you have them in your area, NTL / Telewest etc. I have heard One Tel are OK as well, I am with NTL and have never had any problems.