Wired network - can only get one item or other to connect!

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by CDphobe, Jan 31, 2009.

1. CDphobe

CDphobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi folks - need a little help please!

I have a small wired network running via a Sky Netgear router, all operating through standard CAT5 cables. Attached is a ReadyNAS NV+ and two PCs. Until recently one PC was Vista, the other XP and all worked fine. Having replaced the XP machine, I now have two Vista machines operating. All units are set to a common workgroup name, and all use the router as DHCP server (on which the ReadyNAS is set to a fixed IP of 192.168.0.200). Problem is that I can only get EITHER the ReadyNAS OR the newer Vista PC to connect, and the Vista PC seems to take "priority". If both are connected, the ReadyNAS loses its IP address and says "No Network Link" while the associated light on the router flashes. I'm positive that the newer Vista PC used to work okay with the ReadyNAS because there are drives mapped across to it okay (this is all down at my parents, hence not sure when this happened or exactly what caused the problem). Any help much appreciated because I'm pulling my hair out here (and my next problem will be that for some reason the older Vista machine is now set to 10Mbs rather than 100, but first things first...!) Would love to resolve this while I'm here this weekend so please let me know what I can try or what additional anyone needs to help. Cheers,

Al

2. CDphobe

CDphobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Okay, something else to throw into the pot... The newer Vista machine has something called Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface associated with the Network Adaptor (an NVIDIA nForce 10/100) which is showing as not working properly in Device Manager. None of the other machines seem to have this, and I believe its something to do with ipv6? What do you reckon, do I just remove this and hope for the best?

Al

3. CDphobe

CDphobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Well, I've uninstalled the "hardware" that is identified as the Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface from System Properties and at least I've managed to get all the units back ont he network and talking to each other. There still seems to be some sort of issue because the NAS has to be up and online first, but this tends to be on 24/7 anyway so not an issue. If anyone has any thoughts for other network elements to look at I'd be grateful, but I do at least seem to have a way forward for now.

Al