Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Wired LAN speed required for streaming high def

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pringtef, Aug 21, 2004.

1. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    My HTPC is rapidly running out of space, and i'm planning on running a CAT5e crossover between this and a server i have.

I've got 100 BaseT network cards in both of these at the moment, but was wondering whether i would need gigabit cards in them for streaming high definition from one PC to the other.

Any thoughts?

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Nah, you'll be fine. Hi-Def is ~20Mbps, so you've got plenty of headroom. I've been able stream Hi-Def over a 54Mbps wireless when the wind was blowing in the right direction, so wired will be no problem.

3. Pavel

Pavel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Agreed, should be fine.

Make sure you're running full duplex, though, as voice or video and half-duplex LANs do not mix.

Also, don't run other traffic over the link at the same time; video is very sensitive to jitter, which the other traffic could cause - the net effect will be that the picture starts to be disturbed, or will break up in extreme cases.

For anyone else considering doing something similar, running video via a LAN switch is more difficult (it depends on the switch and its setup), and via a hub should not even be contemplated.