wired lan port speed on 2019 LG C9

Do those adapters work for 2017/2018 Models too? Even if just USB 2.0 connectors it could still be much faster than build-in NIC. I'll try that, buffering is pretty frustrating.

Would like to know as Rikku1987 asked if any Usb to Gigabit adapters work for UHD LG Tv Models of 2017-2018. Got the LG 43UJ630V-ZA.

Tested it on 2018 and 2017 Model now (OLED), works like a charm - super happy :)
Can't tell for UJ630V tho but should give it a try, TV needs to have working driver and not every adapter works for every TV.

What do you mean TV needs to have working driver? Could you explain that please?
Also which adapter exactly did you use? Can you link it to me?
Wow thanks for replying super fast.

I just mean not every adapter works with every TV cause they use different chipsets and TV might not be able to communicate with that hardware/adapter, this one works for LG OLED 2017-2019 100% but for yours yoo'll just need to try i guess:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I just mean not every adapter works with every TV cause they use different chipsets and TV might not be able to communicate with that hardware/adapter, this one works for LG OLED 2017-2019 100% but for yours yoo'll just need to try i guess:
A huge thank you. Will go for that adapter and report back with the results!

Unfortunatelly it doesn't work.

Plugged it on my LG and it says Unknown usb Device connected. But no internet connection. All LED lights on Cable Matters work fine and works normally.

Works on my PC and Steam Link device though.

Will look for a Tv Box which can handle 4K ULTRA HD Playback and HDR with android i guess. No money for the ultima Nvidia Tv Shield
:(

It's a non issue guys.

Nothing the TV is capable of doing will saturate a 100Mb ethernet connection. Moreover, by the time streaming services reach the point they can deliver >100Mb streams, the TV's smart features will have long since become obsolete. The lack of support for smart features once a new model is released should be your main gripe :/

I wouldn't waste money on a USB ethernet adapter. Better of investing that in a 4K Fire Stick or Roku stick. They are only £19.99 last time I checked.

I shoot video using a 4K HCX1000E camera, this produces footage with a bitrate of 158Mb/s, I can play this back over DNLA quite happily using a DMP UB700 bluray player which has a 1G wired network. My TV, UE55HU6900, only has 100Mb wired network, it coughs and splutters with this footage not surprisingly, so if you want quality, 1G wired is essential.

I shoot video using a 4K HCX1000E camera, this produces footage with a bitrate of 158Mb/s, I can play this back over DNLA quite happily using a DMP UB700 bluray player which has a 1G wired network. My TV, UE55HU6900, only has 100Mb wired network, it coughs and splutters with this footage not surprisingly, so if you want quality, 1G wired is essential.

In that case you're a rare exception. Your content is capable of saturating the network port on the TV. But it only applies to that content. It's not going to make a difference to any streaming services, which don't have a bit rate capable of saturating the TV's LAN port. Therefore, for those services, a 1Gb wired connection will not deliver any more quality.

Moreover, have you tried your content over a 1Gb connection? Is the TV capable of decoding and playing a 4k stream with a bit rate of 158Mb's? You may find it is not capable of playing media smoothly at such a high bit rate.

In that case you're a rare exception. Your content is capable of saturating the network port on the TV. But it only applies to that content. It's not going to make a difference to any streaming services, which don't have a bit rate capable of saturating the TV's LAN port. Therefore, for those services, a 1Gb wired connection will not deliver any more quality.

Moreover, have you tried your content over a 1Gb connection? Is the TV capable of decoding and playing a 4k stream with a bit rate of 158Mb's? You may find it is not capable of playing media smoothly at such a high bit rate.

Hi, yes, It is an unusual case. As I said, the bluray player has a 1G network, and that works fine. The TV will also decode and play this footage (and even higher bitrate) perfectly when connected with a USB 3 hard drive straight in, unfortunately the TV does not have 5G wireless, only 2.4, that might have just done it with the "practical" 200Mb that this provides...as for streaming, there should as you say, be no problem with saturation, especially using the lower bitrate HEVC.

It's a non issue guys.

Nothing the TV is capable of doing will saturate a 100Mb ethernet connection. Moreover, by the time streaming services reach the point they can deliver >100Mb streams, the TV's smart features will have long since become obsolete. The lack of support for smart features once a new model is released should be your main gripe :/

I wouldn't waste money on a USB ethernet adapter. Better of investing that in a 4K Fire Stick or Roku stick. They are only £19.99 last time I checked.

Agree with your sentiments when they're inclusive of streaming services in the current day.

However, there must not be that many users on here that encode their own UHD backups with HDR intact along with EAC-3 audio.

Utilizing Plex or Xplay to direct play UHD backups (HEVC/x265) from a dedicated media server (2600x 1060) and Synology NAS suffers when limited to 100mbit.

Plex uses caching and playback methods that have the best environment for seamless playback when there is *twice* the media bitrate (Mbps) in available bandwidth/throughput available. The built-in NIC for LG is a bottleneck, whereas an Nvidia Shield 2015/2017/2019 wired up on gigabit has no issues with consistent playback of these same files. Take Parasite, for example, w 7.1 TrueHD Atmos, averaging 86.3Mbps but can spike to 103-105 in certain scenes. Plex likes to see twice that to keep things playing seamlessly.

Can I work around this? Yes.

Is it a non-issue? Nope.

Perhaps my use case is niche, but there are a growing number of people self-hosting.

Anyway, I'm not registering and posting to spark up an argument. I'm merely throwing my instance and what is becoming a commonplace discussion of TV hardware limitations over in r/OLED , r/Plex , and r/HTPC. Unfortunately, wireless is no replacement for wired when consistency is desired-- even with throughputs getting higher and higher. Perhaps Wifi 6 will change that in the years to come.

Hi I have a uptone etherregen gigbit switch and it is not working with my LG C8 LAN connection.
There is no light in the ports at all.
Is this normal if you connect a gigbit switch to a device that only support 100mb?

Never had a problem streaming on my c7 and c9 on a wired connection with high bit rate content. It never occurred to be this would be an issue. I’ll be doing some tests now though 😊

Anyone know if they finally upgraded it on the CX?

No, still 100mbit having a recent investigation.

I, however, found a USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter that works on my OLED55B8PLA (USB 2.0 on my model so not full Gigabit, however I've never seen any massive issues, even with DV dual layer playback)

For £22 ish it's certainly worth a try.

Keep in mind that mine did show up as unknown, and from the menus there appeared to be no network, however everything I'd tried (Prime, Plex, XPlay, App Store, Built in Web Browser) works, and has been for months, even on the latest firmware.

Last edited:
Hi- I have the Cablematters adaptor- model number 202013

I have plugged it into my 55 C9 PLA and it says an unknown device is connected- I have a blue light on the adaptor and the two flashing lights also light up. I get internet connection BUT I only get 19-25 Mbps download when I can get 190 Mbps using the Cablematters adaptor connected to my PC- I have 200Mbps fibre into my house. I have unplugged/plugged and switched on and off many times- still those throttled speeds on the TV.

When I plug into the TV's wan port direct from my router I get about 90Mbps which is what I would expect for LG's 10/100 wan port. What is strange is that I just had a Netgear 8-Port ethernet switch arrive- and when I plug into the LG ethernet port BUT go through this ethernet switch it also throttles it down to 19-25 Mbps. Obviously I am missing a setting. My router is an Asus RT-AX92U which is in a mesh system. Thanks for any advice

OK- so I think the Cable masters adaptor it is working now- enabling flow control on the Netgear gigabyte switch seems to have made it work- don't ask me why- or even what it is! But fast.com went up from 40Mbps to 130Mbps and it went up on the other apps too. The other thing I found is that fast.com reported faster speeds than the LG app- Internet Speed 2 reported but also faster than the Netflix built in internet speed checker. I guess, the real question is, does it make a difference- and yes, Netflix etc do feel snappier/less buffer. Plus, I hope my tv speeds will go up further and beyond 130Mbps as the speeds from my internet provider gets faster.

So to answer the question, is the 100Mbit limit an issue for some, yes it is. I had two movies that were hitting this limit on occasion during the play time. The Remux of Akira and a revised Remux of Green Book from the high bitrate Italian 4k Bluray. Akira is reporting a video bitrate of 81.1 Mbps (excluding audio) and Green Book has a video bitrate of 81.6 Mbps. This is an average rate and when playing them on a PC using MPC-HC with stats, they both periodically jumped above 100Mbps and often ticked along >90Mbps. I tested the worst case locations in each movie and both briefly buffered.

I read this thread and actually had an Anker USB 3 to Cat5 adaptor already for my laptop (Amazon UK prod code: B00NPJP33M) and this worked perfectly with no setup, just plug and play. My speed test on Fast.com went from ~85Mbps to ~300Mbps. I retested the movies and no buffering!

Useful to know that if the lan port on your TV dies there is a USB solution available. I’ll deffo make a note of the part number!

Thanks for this thread! I was just about to replace a line thinking something was wrong with it. Couldn't figure out why ethernet was running like garbage compared to WiFi. Getting tired of hearing "no one needs more than 100". Obviously that's false. Many of my movies would not play right over ethernet.

Originally I thought the built in LG player was garbage. Glad I tried WiFi first. But once in a while even the WiFi can't cut it. I'll give that adapter a shot and see what happens.

EDIT:
That Cable Matters USB Ethernet dongle worked great on my 55" LG C9. WiFi says disconnected. Ethernet says disconnected. Yet the ethernet dongle has flashing lights and somewhere the TV accepts it and uses it as a connection. Yay WebOS! Amazon part# B00BBD7NFU

Last edited:
The C9 isn’t able to stream live peloton classes via airplay on a wired connection. Previously recorded ones work just fine. After a bit of hair pulling and troubleshooting I was able to figure out the port is just 100. I have a feeling peloton uses a higher bitrate on live shows while older ones are transcoded. Anyway, airplay with peloton and a wired connection to the tv is not playable. WiFi works great. I think my wife is happy enough that it’s working now but I’ll give that usb dongle a try soon.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom