wired lan port speed on 2019 LG C9

gkatz

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all;
does anyone know what is the wired port speed on the 2019 C9? is it 100mb like the C8? or was it upgraded to a 1gb interface? I couldnt verify this from the spec sheet online.
thanks in advance.

hi all;
does anyone know what is the wired port speed on the 2019 C9? is it 100mb like the C8? or was it upgraded to a 1gb interface? I couldnt verify this from the spec sheet online.
thanks in advance.

Still using 100Mbps same as on the older models, seen it confirmed by C9 owners elsewhere.

Still using 100Mbps same as on the older models, seen it confirmed by C9 owners elsewhere.
wow super strange. so this means that wireless would be faster as it supports ac... less relialbe maybe, but still faster.
100mb seem borderline @ this day and age. I mean, UHD bluray today already has 50Mb video streams + 5 for audio.

LG's wifi and ethernet are not especially well regarded, definitely a overlooked weakness of LG TV's but they consider it fine for internet streaming purposes.

If your going to streaming uncompressed 4K rips I'd get a dedicated player with gigabit ethernet. The built in TV media player is okay but fairly basic, Plex is just a skin over that built in player.

LG's wifi and ethernet are not especially well regarded, definitely a overlooked weakness of LG TV's but they consider it fine for internet streaming purposes.

If your going to streaming uncompressed 4K rips I'd get a dedicated player with gigabit ethernet. The built in TV media player is okay but fairly basic, Plex is just a skin over that built in player.
The built-in media players and DLNA functionality of Samsung/LG TV's, in combination with apps, are perfectly adequate for 99% of streaming uses.

The simple fact is that in this day and age they should have gigabit ethernet, it is old and established technology hardly adds much to each TV build cost.

Thank you. Well that explains why PLEX via my wired Xbox is so much better than PLEX on my LG. yeah streaming uncompressed 4K was awful .... whilst the Xbox makes a lot of noise I can at least turn up the amp !

I think even though the C9 has wireless AC I am going to wire it and see.
my gutt says a wired connection is still the better way and my fast.com tests on the tv show only 108Mb so thats not that far from the 100 a wired lan would give me which is probably more reliable (but thats just my network - other people may experience other numbers of course).
BTW, another silly thing is that the LAN port is on the back, even though its reccessed it still is in the way of a wall installation with a minimal install kit that I got with the TV...

I’d always go wired. However the processing speed of a tv will be less than a dedicated box.

I've not run into any issues with a dedicated 5GHz Wifi for Plex on my LG. I'm able to stream 4k High Bitrate (>85Mbps) movies with TrueHD.

It is indeed bizarre that the ethernet port is so poor though!!!

This genuinely surprised me, and disappointed me. I had no idea and merely *assumed* the Ethernet back there was gig. I just ran into audio breakup issues (which is what led me to this thread) in the past few days whilst streaming HDR content both from Plex and online streaming as well. Finally traced it to the shared Ethernet passthrough on a Sonos:Connect that my C9 was using (another device I didn't realize was only 10/100). I think that Ethernet port may be going, but regardless it all led me to find out that even the new LG wasn't Gig. I genuinely can barely believe it for a set that is billed as so "future proof". That might certainly become a weak point.
I've not had problems again since I gave it back a dedicated run (not sharing via the pass-thru any longer) but doubly strange that it all was fine with previous sets, and even this set for the past several weeks. Such a cheap and ubiquitous piece of kit that should have been added to this generation, if not the last several.

I have noticed a difference if I use an Xbox One as my Media centre ( PLEX / Netflix ) ect and run Gigga into that. Well, ok. I run into a switch, then out of my switch to my TV / Xbox / Receiver.

The Xbox has way more processing power than the TV and also acts as a pretty good 4K Disc player. Oh, and games !

I have noticed a difference if I use an Xbox One as my Media centre ( PLEX / Netflix ) ect and run Gigga into that. Well, ok. I run into a switch, then out of my switch to my TV / Xbox / Receiver.

The Xbox has way more processing power than the TV and also acts as a pretty good 4K Disc player. Oh, and games !
Ever since I gave (as an experiment) my LG the gig run that my XBox had it's been fine. Though I would occasionally run into buffering issues on the XBox whilst it had that run. Dunno if its related but the LG did get the latest 4.70.05 update around the same time this all started.

This just baffles me in the case of the LG set though. 10/100 LAN was commonplace an actual generation ago. There are people watching these sets that are living on their own who were infants when 10/100 was rolling out with prevalence. :laugh:

Last edited:
It's annoying that the wired port isn't faster, but I've got to say, I've never had an issue with it in reality and I stream movies in both h.264 and h.265 4k HDR from my PC

Hi! Some time ago I found a discussion on Reddit, several users confirmed that - USB 3.0 to ethernet adapter works and will let you have speeds greater than build in wired connection. Few users confirmed that not ALL adapters work. This one was mentioned as the one that is working:

I ordered one already and will test it on Monday/Tuesday (9/10 Dec). I will let you know if it works.
I also have issues with streaming 4K HDR content both on wired and 5g WiFi connection on my C9.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi, looks like it might work for the C9! A review of the aforementioned adapter from Amazon:

''Next day delivery brilliant, I don't usually do feed back, this is the first one in about 4 years, but this little USB Ethernet adapter is a total steal at £10, anyone who has a LG oled or any recent TV that doesn't have a gigabyte Ethernet, honestly get this, I was getting about 90mb download speed because LG cheaped out and didn't put gigabyte Ethernet in my LG oled b8 that I paid £2200 for, ridiculous LG outta be ashamed, someone recommended this adapter online, but I didn't think it work as it was only 10 bucks, I've just got it delivered, I'm now getting 180mb download speed, that's a big improvement for 10 bucks, everything just feels a lot quicker especially YouTube, I can't recommend this enough, I didn't paid or anything to say this I'm just a normal guy like yourself''

Hi, looks like it might work for the C9! A review of the aforementioned adapter from Amazon:

''Next day delivery brilliant, I don't usually do feed back......, I can't recommend this enough, I didn't paid or anything to say this I'm just a normal guy like yourself''

Who writes a review and has to automatically defend themselves against being a paid reviewer (and a sexist one to boot)?

It's a non issue guys.

Nothing the TV is capable of doing will saturate a 100Mb ethernet connection. Moreover, by the time streaming services reach the point they can deliver >100Mb streams, the TV's smart features will have long since become obsolete. The lack of support for smart features once a new model is released should be your main gripe :/

I wouldn't waste money on a USB ethernet adapter. Better of investing that in a 4K Fire Stick or Roku stick. They are only £19.99 last time I checked.

Got an adapter and it does work. Still testing but smooth streaming so far. What's interesting TV shows as no wired connection but I still have access to the internet (wifi off). Seems like a cheep fix, untill you need usb for something else ;)

Last edited:
It's a non issue guys.

Nothing the TV is capable of doing will saturate a 100Mb ethernet connection. Moreover, by the time streaming services reach the point they can deliver >100Mb streams, the TV's smart features will have long since become obsolete. The lack of support for smart features once a new model is released should be your main gripe :/

I wouldn't waste money on a USB ethernet adapter. Better of investing that in a 4K Fire Stick or Roku stick. They are only £19.99 last time I checked.

This is absolutely false information! I had to purchase a USB3 to gigabit ethernet adapter to prevent stuttering/buffering on high bit rate 4k content.

Got an adapter and it does work. Still testing but smooth streaming so far. What's interesting TV shows as no wired connection but I still have access to the internet (wifi off). Seems like a cheep fix, untill you need usb for something else ;)

Same thing on my TV. Technically isn't aware of a connection however everything just 'works'.

This is absolutely false information! I had to purchase a USB3 to gigabit ethernet adapter to prevent stuttering/buffering on high bit rate 4k content.

If you were experiencing problems then fair enough. But take a look at the bit rate of 4k streams and you'll see a 100mb wired ethernet connection should not be saturated.

It's more likely negotiation issues between your switch and the TV's ethernet port causing issues. Perhaps it negotiated at 10mb or half duplex for example. SOHO switches particularly those built into cheap broadband providers routers can cause such problems.

That's an interesting theory. Is there any one with some decent router and maybe a virgin media- also to compare the performance?

That's an interesting theory. Is there any one with some decent router and maybe a virgin media- also to compare the performance?

Does using the usb to gigabit allow you to access a dlna server etc? Since the TV shows as not connected

Last edited:
I'm not getting the fuss here. To max out your 100Mb ethernet connection you'd be reading files from your network source at 12.5 MB/s. For an 2 hour long film that's a file size of 90GB!! Where are you getting your rips from guys?!

In order to stream Netflix UHD you're using only about 13% - 15% of a 100Mb connection. Unless you want to multi task (not sure if you can or what you'd actually do) I just can't see the fuss in upping your connection to a Gb.

I may stand to be corrected though, I often get things pretty wrong. Ask my girlfriend, she'll be happy to concur.

Weirdly, Kodi which is running on my pretty powerful PC (3900x, 2080Ti) struggled with a big (70GB+) 4K HDR file which was stuttering away, whilst the built in C9 Plex/LG media player had no issue playing it from the same PC via the Network cable.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom