Wired internet losing connection!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cunny678, Apr 7, 2016.

1. cunny678

cunny678

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    Have been having a problem with my Acer laptop for a while.

Every day usually about mid day, it loses the wired connection and connects to wifi.

In itself this wouldn't be a problem but it's at work and wifi signal is poor.

It's seems to do it more if I try to watch video online.

I am running Windows 8.1.

Any help would be much appreciated as it's driving me mad.

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,338
    Why not just delete the saved wi-fi network so it can't connect? (I assume it's password protected).

3. cunny678

cunny678

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    If there was no wifi there would be no connection to the Internet at all. It generally picks the wired connection up again if I restart the computer.

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,338
    So you've tried it?

24 hours could be the DHCP renew period, it may be having trouble obtaining a new one. You could try setting it up as a static IP (assuming whoever's managing the work network doesn't object) and see if it still disconnects.

5. MacrosTheBlack

MacrosTheBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +499
    Is the cable ok? Fully connected at both ends? Not lost the plastic locking clip on the RJ45 connector? Amount of broken clips I see out in the wild and network cables hanging lose in sockets :facepalm: Slightest knock can make them slip out slightly and lose a connection.

If you have an IT support person at work, get them involved. If you think it might be a DHCP lease issue you can plug the cable in. Make sure the connection works. Open a CMD prompt and type "ipconfig" note down your ipv4 address (normally internal addresses are something like 192.168.*.*, 172.16.*.* or 10.*.*.*).
    Then type "ipconfig /release" to clear your DHCP address.
    Then type "ipconfig /renew" and check you get an ip address back in the same range you first had.

Also if rebooting often solves it. Then could possibly be a bad driver for your Acer's network card, check the Acer support site for the latest drivers for your laptop and version of Windows.

Lastly I'd run a virus and malware checker, just to ensure your laptops clean of any nasties.

6. cunny678

cunny678

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    Yes. I only connect with wifi after it started to drop out. It's a poor connection though, just about get emails.

The computer guys at work have given me a static IP address but doesn't seem to make any difference.

7. cunny678

cunny678

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    I have run virus / malware checker and all ok. Funnily enough when I googled it I did pick up a thread which mentioned a problematic Broadcom driver. Problem is mine is up to date so note sure how I can change it. Are all network drivers the same? Sorry not great on computer issues.

8. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,338
    Did they come and set it up on your computer or did they just reserve an address for you?

9. cunny678

cunny678

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    They set it up on my computer. The only option they gave me was to try a new computer[emoji16]
    I did run a Microsoft diagnostic utility which did say that there was some Corrupt data. I clicked repair but not all the files could be repaired. Didn't think this fault was related as it's just related to the wired connection.

It's weird how it seems to trip out under load for want of a better word. As soon as I watch any video it seem to cause it to drop after a few minutes.

10. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,338
    Impossible to say without knowing what the utility was diagnosing and which data was corrupt.

From your initial description I was assuming it was cutting out itself around a specific time.

So what exactly happens? It works fine until mid-day then when it gets to mid-day it'll cut out when you use it heavily?

11. cunny678

cunny678

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    It generally cuts out about lunch time most days. However, I quite often watch YouTube at lunch and noticed it dropping the connection more when watching. So yes I would say it seems to drop when there is a heavy data requirement.

Will have a look what utility I used when I get back in the office next week. It was one that was included in Windows, so nothing special.

12. cunny678

cunny678

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    Still having problem with this. Checked IT guy who said nothing on server to cause problems.
    It's definitely when I play any kind of movie / YouTube content. If I avoid movies it lady all day usually.

Any ideas?