Wired Connection

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by taylorboy77, Jan 15, 2008.

1. taylorboy77

taylorboy77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys, really cheesed off with the unreliability of Wireless connection - too many drop out etc for my liking so going to go for a wired connection (awaiting delivery of longer ethernet cable as PC and PS3 on opposite sides of large living room).

Anyway, my set up is: -

Virgin Broadband 2MB (previously Telewest) Modem
    Connected to PC via USB from Modem
    I will be connecting my PS3 to Ethernet connection on Modem

Question is, do i need to keep resetting Modem everytime I want to switch between PC/PS3 or if I do the above, will it be possible to surf the PC (wife) while i play PS3 :cool:

Guru's, let us have your wise words of wisdom :lease:

2. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I'm not terribly familiar with cable internet and cable modems but I believe you can onlhy use one device at a time when using just the modem. I'm not sure if this will work but it should do.

The solution would be to get a broadband router and connect it to the ethernet port on the modem. Then connect both the PS3 and PC via ethernet to the router. The router will manahe your internet connection and let you use both the PC and the PS3 at the same time.

3. runam0k

runam0k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I agree with Moogle except you say you're connecting wirelessly to something.

I'm assuming you don't mean a neighbour's network. ;)

Try connecting using the ethernet cable - if it's a router, it will work without resetting, if not, the solution is as Moogle describes.

4. badsoden

badsoden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  5. taylorboy77

taylorboy77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers guys, should have cleared it up but i have a wireless router just now.

Im really only wondering if i can sell this wireless router and just use my modem for both ie USB for PC and Ethernet for PS3.

My thinking is i cannot have both PC and PS3 online at same time with just using my broadband modem and Im just looking for this confirmation.

I have got a £70 quid wireless router (only paid £20.00 for it ) ;) so really want to sell this and get a cheaper router if I am not going to be utilising the "wireless" part of it (only will be using to use the ethernet connections for both PC and PS3.

Thanks for the help in advance :thumbsup:

6. Fentyke

Fentyke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I can only plug one ethernet cable into my Virgin modem. If your's is the same, you will either still need your router which should have 2 or more ethernet sockets or run a line from you PC to the PS and share the internet connection on the PC. This should work fine but you'll have to have the PC on when you want to play on-line with the PS.

I was as frustrated as you with the PS wireless receiver so opted to keep the router, plug one ethernet into the PC and another to the PS via home plugs. It works an absolute treat and I can run the kids PC and my Laptop wirelessly, and a my main PC and the PS wired connection, all at the same time. The connection is very stable as well.

7. runam0k

runam0k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I'd do as Fentyke suggests. You have a router so try and modem and if that doesn't work, keep the router (use wired connections and disable wireless). You never know when you might need wireless.

8. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    As alrfeady mentioned just connect both the PS3 and PC to the router using ethernet cables for a wired connection. Homeplugs is the other option.

9. taylorboy77

taylorboy77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys, as per usual I get the information I am after very quickly.

I will keep the wireless router the now but just use it for ethernetting both PC and PS3 the now.

Fentyke, have you had any of the problems you had with wireless now that you are wired? IE lost connections etc?

My brother has been wired for over a day and not had one lost connection

10. Fentyke

Fentyke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not really. I've only been signed out of PSN once since I wired, I always get into games in flash, not really seen much lag and my COD4 accuracy and kills/deaths stats are improving as a result. Best decision I made was ditching the wireless connection and buying those homeplugs.

11. taylorboy77

taylorboy77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, Thats me now WIRED up and what a difference. Cannot believe how quicker I get into COD games and never lost connection once.
    TW2008 also is now amazing online - can now play 18 hole matchplay online safe in the knowledge I wont lose connection and get a Did Not Finish Hit against my stats.
    :clap:

12. Fentyke

Fentyke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Nice one and enjoy the unbroken connection.