Wired and WiFi at the same time with Musicbee as the player?

Bluesagain

Novice Member
Running Musicbee on laptop with windows 10. I bypass the laptop soundcard using CA-USB Audio and send output to a Cambridge Dacmagic 100 DAC. Output of DAC connects to my stereo Amp. I have wired speakers playing on A and B output to two different rooms. At the same time I want to stream this same music from Musicbee through WiFi to a WiFi audio receiver August WR320 connected to a set of powered speakers in a third room. Could this be done by replacing the Dac with a Cambridge Audio CXN streamer?

larkone

Distinguished Member
August WR320

WR320

Wireless Audio Receiver - August WR320 - Multiroom Adaptor for Speaker Systems

Stream Crystal Clear Lossless Sound throughout your Home - Control individual or combined playlists and streaming services for multiple speakers from the iPhone or Android App

No mention of a PC app so either bluetooth (limited to 10m at most if clear line of sight) or a direct wired connection from the PC to the WR320's inputs. The CXN is a receiving streaming device not a transmitting device.

Bluesagain

Novice Member
Thanks Larkone. The WR320 does receive a signal from the PC over WiFi and the powered remote speakers do work but it doesn't use Musicbee as my player. The WR320 just accesses my PC library and plays what I select from an Android phone. The fact that the CXN is only a receiving device is a big help. Thanks again.

larkone

Distinguished Member
Yes I realise that about the WR320 as it is accessing your PC stored music using DLNA/UPnP. Just had a look at Musicbee site and they do offer this plugin that - if it works properly (it is no longer supported by the author) - should allow Musicbee and your WR320 to work together. Worth a try.
This plugin supports server mode (enables UPnP devices to browse and play from the MusicBee library) and controller mode (playing from MusicBee to UPnP devices)

Cebolla

The WR320's description on the August website is totally useless as far as providing any network streaming protocol support details are concerned & the downloadable user manual is almost as bad - just one (on p.12) casual, bordering on random, misspelt mention of a network streaming protocol and it doesn't even actually state if it's supported by the WR320:
Note: Some third party applications need Air Play and can only be used with IOS
One of those rare occasions when @larkone's cheeky manuals 'warning' should actually be heeded :eek:.

Luckily the Amazon page accessed via the recommended retailer link specifically mentions AirPlay, DLNA & QPlay (whatever that may be*) as supported WiFi streaming protocols.

So the suggested UPnP/DLNA plugin should allow the WR320 to stream via UPnP/DLNA with MusicBee. However, I don't believe you'll be able to play the same music from MusicBee at the same time to your USB connected DAC as I think you can only select one of them as the MusicBee's output device.

You could try the other network streaming protocol the WR320 is supposed to support, AirPlay. The AirPlay on Windows providing TuneBlade helper application should allow you to play to both the USB connected DAC and to the AirPlay streaming WR320 at the same time from the audio being played on MusicBee.

Bear in mind the audio will being played at the same time but not synchronised. If you require the audio to also be synchronised, that is possible but it is a bit more complicated as you need to use two further helper applications for that: TuneAero and VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable.
Also TuneBlade & TuneAero are free to try and test with, but you need to pay for them if you want to continue using them without the time delayed nag (you might get away with not having to pay for TuneBlade if the WR320 isn't using Apple's officially approved AirPlay streaming components).

*Edit: QPlay seems to be for streaming via the Chinese music streaming service QQ Music's own app, so presumably similar to Spotify Connect with the Spotify app.

Last edited:

Bluesagain

Novice Member
Thanks everyone. Everything is working. Using Tuneareo to allow my August WR320 WiFi receiver (connected to the remote powered speakers) to receive streaming and Tuneblade to perform the WiFi streaming. Then used Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) to send my Musicbee feed to both the hardwired DAC and the WR320 receiver at the same time. Only issue remaining and it is not a showstopper is the two outputs are slightly out of sync. The speakers are in two different rooms. Currently playing with the clocking on the VB cables to try and correct this. Thanks again for all the help.

Cebolla

Excellent, thanks for letting us know. Having to adjust the virtual cable software's timing settings in order to get the two outputs better synchronised doesn't sound right, though. I'm assuming that:
  • MusicBee's output device is set to the virtual cable's input;
  • TuneBlade's Audio Capture is set to Specific Endpoint with the virtual cable's output selected as the Endpoint;
  • TuneAero's Audio Out Device is set to the DAC's Windows USB audio output device in Advanced;
  • All other TuneBlade & TuneAero settings are left at their initial default values;
  • TuneBlade automatically displays both the WR320 (as it is supposed to support AirPlay as an AirPlay receiver) and the W10 Laptop (its AirPlay receiver support is provided by TuneAero) as the two AirPlay receivers to play to.
So the virtual cable is only to provide TuneBlade with the audio from MusicBee and it's TuneBlade as the AirPlay sender that actually supplies the two outputs as AirPlay receivers when you press their appropriate play buttons on the TuneBlade display. Assuming the WR320 supports AirPlay audio synchronisation (all AirPlay devices officially approved by Apple do), the audio should be automatically synchronised once both AirPlay receivers have indicated that they are connected after pressing their play buttons on the TuneBlade display.

Any minor synchronisation adjustment needed to compensate for a possible delay introduced by audio components further up the audio chain (eg possibly the two powered speakers connected to the WR320) can be made in the appropriate AirPlay receiver's DSP/DAC Delay advanced setting in TuneBlade,

Last edited:

Bluesagain

Novice Member
Must thank you again Cebolla. The system is all up and running and everything is in sync. It works beautifully. I appreciate you sending the second response with all the details of how to connect everything up. I had a slightly different configuration using two VB cables as I didn't really understand just what jobs tuneblade and tuneaero were performing. After reconfiguring as you describe above I was still having a sync issue. I reset the sync from real-time to 2 seconds and everything sync'ed up perfect. Also Cambridge Audio wouldn't let me use CA ASIO USB to more than one device so I set Musicbee to WASAPI(shared) and all is ok. I have read that there may be a slight music quality reduction using WASAPI over ASIO but it seems to be unnoticeable. Again, thank you very much Cebolla for all the help. Much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony A90J & A80J OLED and X90J & X95J BRAVIA XR TV Line-up & Features: Sony Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom