Wire free TV

Npsed2

Novice Member
Looking for some some English jargon free help :)

We used to have a Panasonic vierra wire free TV (apart from mains lead of course) that broke recently and nothing similar seems to exist now.

We want a sky box, occasional games console, coaxial TV aerial as I put feeds that are located in one corner of the room.

We will put a WiFi smart TV on a totally different wall in the same room no HDMI or other wires connect between the two locations.

Fitting an HDMI between the TV and the other devices is not an option.

From my googling it looks like I need an HDMI switcher and a wireless hdmi dongle.

Is that correct and any recommendations...apart from don't do it!

We don't need very high resolution as Freeview/sky is about all we use really.

Within reason cost isn't an issue.

Don't want to use purely TV streaming, we want live TV.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for any help you can give

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Model of broken TV? Will allow checking the specs of it to see how that device worked.

I'd also ask WHY can't you run cable(s) between the locations as that will be the best, most reliable solution.

UHF TV (Freeview) may work with a room aerial if you are very, very lucky in a strong signal area?
No way to send that wirelessly (legally); but a STB could send over hdmi from the remote location...
Sky: $ky Q mini box may be mounted behind the TV perhaps? Easiest way to watch (nearly live) TV as is streaming from iPlayer etc.,.

NB No TV is truly live any more due to the digital coding time, satellite up/down propagation time etc.,. ;)

Just plug the occasional games console in when needed?

Npsed2

Novice Member
Model of broken TV? Will allow checking the specs of it to see how that device worked.

I'd also ask WHY can't you run cable(s) between the locations as that will be the best, most reliable solution.

UHF TV (Freeview) may work with a room aerial if you are very, very lucky in a strong signal area?
No way to send that wirelessly (legally); but a STB could send over hdmi from the remote location...
Sky: $ky Q mini box may be mounted behind the TV perhaps? Easiest way to watch (nearly live) TV as is streaming from iPlayer etc.,.

NB No TV is truly live any more due to the digital coding time, satellite up/down propagation time etc.,. ;)

We'd like everything permanently plugged in as it is ATM.

The current TV is a Panasonic TC-P46Z1B which has a factory fitted wireless unit TU-WH1E along with a wireless transmitter box which acts a bit like a wireless HDMI switcher.

Why are the wireless HDMI transmitters not legal? They are sold for sending TV etc wirelessly across a room...are we talking about different things possibly?

Npsed2

Novice Member

Sorry TV is TX-P46Z1B, typo

tvdavid

what about a sky glass setup?

Npsed2

Novice Member
what about a sky glass setup?
Don't want to be tied into expensive sky fees (only pay £20/m now) and internet not great either. Wouldn't allow a games station or other occasional use device either.

Would an HDMI switcher and wireless HDMI transmitter and receiver work?

Any experience?

gibbletts

This type of thing plugged into the output of an HDMI switcher...

Those might work, but you need to add a freeview box or just use sky for tv and an hdmi switch don't think the games console would be much fun as the lag would be awful and you're going to have to find a way to secure the receiver to the back of the telly probably adding a couple of hundred to the cost of the telly with the required extra boxes. There's probably a good reason why those wireless tellys aren't made anymore, you could look at samsungs with the one connect box which would just be 1 thin wire, you'd need to purchase a longer wire separately but would be better than a wireless setup with bits hanging off the back.

Npsed2

Novice Member
Those might work, but you need to add a freeview box or just use sky for tv and an hdmi switch don't think the games console would be much fun as the lag would be awful and you're going to have to find a way to secure the receiver to the back of the telly probably adding a couple of hundred to the cost of the telly with the required extra boxes. There's probably a good reason why those wireless tellys aren't made anymore, you could look at samsungs with the one connect box which would just be 1 thin wire, you'd need to purchase a longer wire separately but would be better than a wireless setup with bits hanging off the back.
Thanks, that's the only option without a wire I can find as well, cost of the bits doesn't matter too much as was an expensive TV previously and we need a solution.

The receiving part of the wireless dongles are small and just plug into hdmi and USB so no drama hiding that.

Games machine is more for the wife's exercise videos really so lag not an issue.

Not sure how the transmission speed compared to the old wireless transmission unit, it used to work fine but is of course different technology so guess I'll have to try it to see!

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom