1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinXP Pro: EXIF any important?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by tonytryout, Mar 9, 2003.

1. tonytryout

tonytryout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have taken loads of pictures and when uploaded to my computer, I tend to use WinXP's standard "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer".
    I also sometimes rotate the photos if the subject was taken in potrait mode.

Doing so loses EXIF -- the information stored in every image (only found about the EXIF thing a few weeks ago even though I was an enthusastic digital photographer since April 2002!).:blush:

I am wondering if EXIF is so important and why? And if EXIF is worth keeping, is there some kind of software that lets me view and rotate (temporily) photographs and keeping EXIF intact?

cheers guys. :)

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The EXIF information is only important if you need it, it contains a whole host of information about camera type, date and time when taken, and you are the only one who knows whether you need any of the mass of information contained there, some digital cameras do not appear to contain EXIF information anyrate.

As to a viewer then the EXIF reader is the one to use since it automatically rotates photos to present them 'right way up' at any size you want to view them.

3. tonytryout

tonytryout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying.

mmmmm -- I noticed that when I rotate a photograph in "Picture and Fax Viewer" (Windows XP), it stays that way, e.g. the picture does not go back to its original "right way up". I guess it is at this stage that EXIF is lost?

Is there a software that lets you view and rotate temporirly with no fear of losing EXIF?

thanks again, mate.

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes as I said in my previous reply the EXIF viewer is the one to use as it automatically presents the picture the right way up regardless of it's original orientation in the camera, you can also expand the picture within the EXIF viewer to fill your screen if you wish. Being the EXIF programme itself it obviously retains all the EXIF information.

If you do not have the latest version of the EXIF viewer then go to www.takenet.or.jp/~ryuuji/minisoft/exifread/english/ where you can download the latest version free.

5. tonytryout

tonytryout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah -- that is great. Thanks man! :smashin: