wintv-nova-hd-s2 unable to find many channels

ooglewoogle

Standard Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had bought a Humax Freesat box here in the UK. It worked perfectly for all Freesat channels available. I later decided that this wasn't the best solution for me, so decided on the Hauppauge so that I could intergrate HD TV with my pc setup and free up some space.

The upshot is that I can get 273 channels (84 unencrypted) and 89 radio stations (40 unencrypted) on the 28.2E Astra group. At the same position (single lnb) I can also receive some channels from the 19.2 group, some 30 tv channels and 18 radio stations.

At 28.E I seem able to get channels from 2A (BBC Alba + radio stations)...a good bit of junk, the bbc interactive streams only....but nothing whatsoever from 2D. No BBC channels at all (BBC One, BBC Two, BBC HD etc)....or ITV Channels.

I have tried eveything I can think of. I know that the signal is there, due to the Humax box having picked them up only last week. I have tried 3rd party software (ProgDVB, Mytheatre, WMC7) with no joy....the same occurence, penty of mostly useless channels. I have tried the latest drivers from this site, but no no avail.

My last thought is that perhaps the standalone box was able to utilise the dish signal better than the nova pci...perhaps due to a more sensitive tuner or some such? I have a satellite finder and was considering jostling the dish a bit...but as it doesn't make sense that the Humax box was ok, I thought I would ask here first.

Any suggestions very welcome. Must...have..world..cup....in...HD!

Many thanks in advance.

ed. Im not sure if it makes much difference, but omitted to say that I am located in the Outer Hebrides.

Thanks Stocky, I have posted it there last night. Thought I would try here also as I know there is a wealth of experience.

I have checked the satellite...and am almost sure that it is pointing 28.2E which would go with the Humax Freesat getting all channels. So annoying! :)

Thanks again.

does the humax freesat box have a signal strength display / satellite finder mode?

you could use that to optimise the signal from the dish before connecting the pci card (sounds like the humax has a better tuner).

you could also check your cables, good quality coax might make a difference (WF100 from satcure is pretty good).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom