1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinTV feed from telewest digi box woes.

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by kudosdude, May 10, 2005.

1. kudosdude

kudosdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all, I have been lurking here for a while and have run into a problem I can't seem to find the answer to on the boards.

I have bought a "Hauppauge WinTV-Primio FM Capture Card PCI TV + Radio + Teletext + Remote + Nicam" but am struggling to see how I can get a good quality feed from by telewest digital box to it. I am used to a good signal from gold plated scart cables, but am having to use a scart to composite lead adapter, and the quality is attrocious. I see a definite improvement when swapping from cheap composite lead, to expensive, but the quality is still not to my liking, particularly with reds, blues and yellows.
    I get fuzzing around the edges of contrasting colours which is driving me up the wall.
    Also has any-one else noticed compression evidence from telewest when blowing up the image quite large (e.g. on a projector) It's not something I ever noticed on my TV, but I understand the resolution is completely different . . .

Anyway, I eagerly await a reply

NB. I don't mind spending money on cables, as long as the picture quality improves to as good/better as that of my TV.

2. yoyoman

yoyoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    ditto that by the way, what a useful entity :)

4. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Kudos

depending on what level of quality you are trying to achieve then you may want to look at a better solution, for example if you use the SweetSpot card instead of the WinTV+RGB->SVideo convertor then you are looking at a much better option..

5. kudosdude

kudosdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    David - are you talking about ditching (read returning) the hauppage and buying SWEETSPOT-MCE card instead?
    It's not really my preferred avenue as I don't yet have MCE. I see what you are saying though about retaining the quality, but is my only option to return the card?
    yoyoman - my card does not have s-video in, so what would be the advantage of scarting into the Convertor and then compositing out using the same wires? (genuine question not sarcasm.)

6. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    If your current hardware only allows composite video out and in, then you are never going to get good enough quality. If you upgraded your stb and your tv card to s-video you would get a bit better quality.

Or, the Sweetspot RGB card allows you to capture from the RGB (scart) source which should look good, but is quite pricey. Or get an internal freeview card which is cheaper and gives very good picture quality (like the Sweetspot MCE) but is, er, freeview!

lisa

7. yoyoman

yoyoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry my bad, I Shouldn’t just presume should I? There would be no benefit at all so as suggested by Dave and Lisag, ditch the card in favour of the other options mentioned.

8. kudosdude

kudosdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I live in a row of houses down a tree lined valley; amazingly this factor pretty much kills any chance of getting a decent signal unless it comes through a cable, so I'm pretty much stuck with cable (which isn't as bad as it sounds to be fair).
    Could you explain more about the Sweetspot card, as I'm hesitant to make another more costly mistake.
    I've done a bit of reading and it appears it should be used with a scaler. Is this true? Where would you suggest me reading up on it? As you've probably gathered I'm a bit of a newbie at this . . .
    If it's going to cost a lot of money I might as well forgoe using the PC and buy a LCD TV instead I can then have dual screen :)
    Thanks for the help.

9. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Sounds like a nice place to live though :)

Are you wanting to capture the tv on to your pc to record.... or are you just trying to get a better quality tv picture through your projector?

Either way these aren't areas that I am strong in, but there are plenty of clever people on here that hopefully will help you out.

good luck
    lisa

10. kudosdude

kudosdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "Sounds like a nice place to live though "
    Yes :)

I am not doing this specifically to record, but I would like to be able to record the odd thing.
    While I have the projector, its main use is as a home cinema, but again, a good picture for occasional use would be nice.
    All I really want is a good TV picture on my LCD. Sounded like such a good idea at the time . . .

Thanks
    Michael

11. kudosdude

kudosdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just been perusing back posts. Looks like the hauppage card is going to go back.
    To save me making the same mistake twice :suicide:; which sweetspot and why.
    What about this as an alternative?

Ta
    Michael

12. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Kudos

there are 3 SweetSpot cards

the original 'SweetSpot Video Processor' - which is unique as it is able to take an RGBS signal from your set-top box. Pretty much all European spec set top boxes have an RGBS signal and this is the best you can get for image quality (without having to have a specially modified set top box)

the next card along is the 'SweetSpot SDI' - this requires a specially modified device, such as an SDI modified DVD player or Sky+ box. This is the ultimate setup, as it bypasses some of the internal electronics in the standard set top box. However, it is only available for a limited range of boxes.

Finally, the 'SweetSpot MCE' - basically this is for Freeview and Windows MCE2005.

hope that clears things up :)

13. kudosdude

kudosdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What do you make of the cheaper alternative?
    I went for the hauppage in the first place because my machine is quite slow (800mhz 1/2 gig ram). I am now looking at spending an extra £100 which is fine as long as it works well and I do not have to keep on spending. Do you see my conundrum?
    Thanks
    Michael

14. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    well, thats more of a PVR solution rather than video processing. Also again you would need to either feed it composite, or add on the costs of the Svideo->RGB convertor (either the budget Maplin version or the best-regarded JS Technology version) to get Svideo.
    Your machine should be just about fast enough to display the video from SweetSpot in Dscaler without any dropped frames...so thinking about it , why not try downloading DScaler and see what it can do with your existing composite video input, it will almost certainly do a better job than what you are getting with the standard application supplied. Also you will know whether or not your machine can run without dropping frames.

cheers

15. kudosdude

kudosdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Downloading it now.

Thankyou very much for all your help :thumbsup: