WinTV Card and Digital TV

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by SonicS, Jul 6, 2005.

1. SonicS

SonicS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a Hauppauge WinTV Theatre TV card and due to it lacking any digital recption, i went out an bought a freeveiw box.

What channel do i tune into to veiw the freeveiw on the WinTV appication (or what Mhz for manual tuning)

Even if i cant get channels to display (hopefully not the case!) at least the set-up menu should come but i cant find the channel :eek:

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Does the WinTV application not have a scan mode where it will go through all the possible channels and pick up the ones that it receives a picture on?

John

3. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    If the WinTV card is analogue (if I'm reading your post correctly) it will only pickup your Freeview box if the Freeview box has an RF modulator.......alternatively if the WinTV card has video/audio in connections via i.e. phono sockets........connect these to the Freeview box......you may need a scart to phono lead.

4. SonicS

SonicS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    johndon, it does but it only picks up the analogue channels and dosent pick up the freeveiw box

JayCee, Im not sure if the freeview box has a RF modulator but i doubt it has seeing as it cost only £59.99 from Dixons (Matsui TUTV1)

I tried connecting the scart out to the S-Video in on the TVCard but it wont pick up the signal regardless of what i tried

I had a look at Maplin's website and see they have aRF Modulator for £29.99. Would this work and how would it enable me to veiw the freeview box?

On the manual, it states the RF OUT on freeview to Ariel In on The TV card

Then it says Scart OUT on Freeview to Scart In on the TV...... of course the TV card dosent have a Scart socket so i tired with S-Video but i dont get a signal

5. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    The Matsui TUTV1 does not have an rf modulator (you should always give make/model no of all equipment when posting a query) BTW.
    Check the manual or go in to setup and see if the Matsui will output s-video.....by default it outputs RGB and report back.

6. SonicS

SonicS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I checked the manual and i cant see anyting about RGB/S-Video. All it says is that it has a SCART OUT and SCART IN port, one labled TV and the other DVD/VCR

I cant get it even display a signal so im not sure how i can change the output to S-Video?

I also tried wiring it directly to our projector (Yamaha DPX-1000) via S-Video but with same no signal. Of course i wasnt expecting it to work but anything's worth a go and the projector is about 1.5Years Old

7. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Connect it to an ordinary TV via scart first so you can see what you're doing, do you maybe have a portable around the house.
    Go into the "setup" menu and check under TV Type if you can change it from RGB to s-video or composite even. Check if the manual gives its specifications, that should tell you if it outputs s-vide.
    Does your WinTV card offer composite video in besides s-video.......again maybe selectable via it's setup menu?

8. SonicS

SonicS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I connected it to the bedroom TV via SCART and the only options for output are RGB an CMV* (cant remember), I took the oppertunity to tune all the channels etc

The WinTV Theatre has both composite and SVideo In and out, tried both but still get no picture via the SCART > Composite/SVideo converter

9. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Well if the Matsui Freeview outputs composite and the WinTv accepts composite you WILL get a picture, just make sure the Matsui is outputting CMV*...........that just leaves a couple of possibilities........either a duff/unsuitable lead or you aren't selecting the WinTv's "AV" input via it's remote.
    Try and get hold of a scart to video and audio lead, typically this will have a scart plug at one end and 3 phono plugs coloured Yellow (video), Red (audio right) and black (audio left)..........try and avoid the separate switchable scart connectors as these are often flimsy and faulty especially the switchable type.

10. SonicS

SonicS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate,

So i change the output mode to the CMV* mode and then plug it in the composite port on the TV Card?

If i change it to that mode on a regular TV Set, the picture becomes really "fuzzy", is this normal and will i get the same thing happening when i plug it into the composite port?

Im deffinatly selecting the AV Mode (aka SVideo/Composite) as my camcorder works fine in that mode on the TV application.

Ive got a scart to phono lead that has one yellow and one red, i plugged that in to the right connecters on the WinTV board but still get no picture.

11. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Correct.

This is normal.....using RGB as you have noticed gives a much sharper pic but as the WinTv card does not have RGB in.....your stuck with composite.......it may not be as bad viewing it through the WinTv.

I would beg/borrow another lead (of the type I suggested) as the wiring on that one may be different.

Why did you not just buy a Digital TV card?

12. SonicS

SonicS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh, alright, i'll give it a go later tonight

O.k, i'll see what the neighbours have ;)

WinTV Theatre is the only card to support on board dolby digital decoding, so when watching a movie you get breathtaking sound from all speakers and set up exactly how I want them.

13. SonicS

SonicS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    O.k, i tried that and it didnt work, so i went over to Maplins and bought the Professional RF Modulator for £39.99, and now my freeview works :D

Even on the projector directly thus removing the need for the PC!

I have one last question, can someone provide a list of all the manual UHF channels i should tune to? automatic dosent pick up ALL of them and misses 1 or 2 every time