Winter - bike - shed - storage

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For people keeping their bike in a shed - as per title really, how do you store your bike through the winter? What precautions do you take? What safety features do you use? Which cover (if any) do you use?

For people keeping their bike in a shed - as per title really, how do you store your bike through the winter? What precautions do you take? What safety features do you use? Which cover (if any) do you use?
I don't own a bike myself but weirdly enough was just reading on FB that a friend of mine just had a bike stolen from her shed tonight (one of two in the country apparently) worth around £4K....so whatever you do make it secure.

I don't own a bike myself but weirdly enough was just reading on FB that a friend of mine just had a bike stolen from her she'd tonight (one of two in the country apparently) worth around £4K....so whatever you do make it secure.
Thanks. My bike is worth nowhere near that. If it was I would have store it somewhere else. It was stored inside the house for many years (under-stair cupboard), but the space would be nice to have back and it is a quiet neighbourhood here, so I thought I'll risk it. Just want to make it secure and make sure the rust won't eat it alive during the winter.

I use an Asgard bike shed to secure our bikes.

They are very secure although expensive.

I use my bike all year round to commute and just try and clean and oil the necessary parts when the weather allows.

We keep my wife's cheap bike in the wooden shed and that is locked to a set of metal ladders with a sold secure gold rated D lock. You can get an Onguard Pitbull D Lock for 20 quid and they are very heavy and thick, gold rated sold secure too.

Whatever you do, don't just leave a bike sitting in a shed, always lock them to something very heavy or immovable.

We keep my wife's cheap bike in the wooden shed and that is locked to a set of metal ladders with a sold secure gold rated D lock. You can get an Onguard Pitbull D Lock for 20 quid and they are very heavy and thick, gold rated sold secure too.

Whatever you do, don't just leave a bike sitting in a shed, always lock them to something very heavy or immovable.

Also remove the ladders when going for a nice summers ride.....

laddersandbikesdontmix.jpg

laddersandbikesdontmix.jpg

The problem I have is that there is nothing immovable in the shed. In fact the whole shed is just a standard size (wee) wooden shed, that you can just kick the door in, if you want.

I plan to put a lock around the frame and one of the wheels. Buy a cover to keep the moisture out, but that is pretty much all I can do. I cannot really afford to spend £500 on a dedicated bike sheds... at least not this year. We have other, more pressing, commitments. So I have to work with what I have.

The problem I have is that there is nothing immovable in the shed. In fact the whole shed is just a standard size (wee) wooden shed, that you can just kick the door in, if you want.

I plan to put a lock around the frame and one of the wheels. Buy a cover to keep the moisture out, but that is pretty much all I can do. I cannot really afford to spend £500 on a dedicated bike sheds... at least not this year. We have other, more pressing, commitments. So I have to work with what I have.

Can't grab a link right now but search out ground anchors or bike anchors. Which might be ideal for you.

Can't grab a link right now but search out ground anchors or bike anchors. Which might be ideal for you.
Thanks, I'll have a look.

I looked at bike stands that can be attached to the floor or the wall with screws yesterday. Not ideal but better than nothing.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

I looked at bike stands that can be attached to the floor or the wall with screws yesterday. Not ideal but better than nothing.

Something along the lines of THIS might be easy/ish to fit and looking pretty secure.

That was the first link when I searched for 'Secure bike anchors'

Something along the lines of THIS might be easy/ish to fit and looking pretty secure.

Thanks. When you mentioned ground anchor, I imagined having have to cut a hole in the shed floor, mix cement, pour it, fit an anchor, let it set, etc. :D This looks much more appealing fitting-wise. I need to have a look at the website on my desktop in the evening though, as it is a bit confusing on the mobile and hard to see prices for various kits.

Thanks. When you mentioned ground anchor, I imagined having have to cut a hole in the shed floor, mix cement, pour it, fit an anchor, let it set, etc. :D This looks much more appealing fitting-wise. I need to have a look at the website on my desktop in the evening though, as it is a bit confusing on the mobile and hard to see prices for various kits.

I think that one is a hole in the floor with a concrete pour, although I'm sure there's plenty of configurations to suit anchoring.
Securing through the shed and using tamper proof bolts etc might be another option.

Couple breeze blocks & heavy duty chain?

I don't want to go OTT with all of it to be honest. I don't want to loose that bike but it is not worth spending a small fortune to make it secure as well. I think digging a hole and pouring concrete is a bit OTT in my case. Securing something to the wall or floor and then securing the bike to it, sounds more like it if I'm honest.

Scaffolding pole under the base, two holes in floor and thread chain through and around pole :smashin:

I had a 'bike anchor' just like that one. Very easy to bolt it to a wall or floor. Use the special bolts that you cannot unscrew; they usually come with the bike anchor. Btw mine was about 50 quid, 250 quid is quite expensive imo. Probably intended for motor bikes not the ones with pedals. On amazon there are plenty for 15 or 20 pounds.

I have my mtb in a wooden shed with a concrete floor. I just put a 25 quid chain through the back wheel and attached it to a shelving unit. I always attach the chain to something heavy and unmovable. A ground anchor would be even better.

I make sure the shed is quite dry and has air flowing through it. (Quite easy when its old like mine. Otherwise place an air vent.)

That's it basically. Very easy really. Just apply some wd40 and grease to the right places on your bike and you're done.

Last edited:
Fill a decent sized bucket with postcrete and set a metal ring/old D lock into it, then lock the bike to that with a D lock. It's not immovable but it'll take a dedicated thief to carry both that and a bike!

The more I read, the more things that needs to be done I find.

I need to change screws to coach bolts in hinges and hasp as well.
Think about an anchor or some sort of heavy object to attach the bike to.
Buy a better padlock - that might be problematic, I will have to upgrade the hasp and staple before that probably, as the hole is so small now, that hardly any padlock fits.

The more I read, the more things that needs to be done I find.

I need to change screws to coach bolts in hinges and hasp as well.
Think about an anchor or some sort of heavy object to attach the bike to.
Buy a better padlock - that might be problematic, I will have to upgrade the hasp and staple before that probably, as the hole is so small now, that hardly any padlock fits.

Invest in a decent bolt/clasp for the shed if you can.
I had coach bolts going through my strong looking DIY chain bought slip bolt and when it got broken into they just used a crowbar to snap the slip bolt which left all the coach bolts behind haha.

Yes I need to do something. Right now you can enter my shed using a screwdriver. Unscrew the 3 open screws that hold the hinges (3 each) and you are in

Yes I need to do something. Right now you can enter my shed using a screwdriver. Unscrew the 3 open screws that hold the hinges (3 each) and you are in

And are you in at the moment :p

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom