WinMCE is it true you still cant use sweetspot with this?

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also, how cut down a version of windows is this? i.e will i still be able to use bittorrent or emule at the same time as watching dvd's if i was to buy mce & replace XP?

having never seen this version of windows, how much better is it for a htpc?

i currently am finding xp is ok individually, but is a pain to tie up all different programs tidily so that say my mother could use it!.

i need

divx auto switching refreshrates depening on source
dvd ditto
sweetspot / descaler with sky running through

all tied into a nice front end, possible rigged up to my remote.

then also i need the ability for emule & Azureus, as well as web surfing.

remote desktop is also handy so i can fiddle about with it in the other room while the tv is in use in the lounge.

is all of this possible?, if so is it easier with mce or xp

cheers

M.

Don't know about your specific programs but MCE is Windows XP Pro with the ability to join domains removed. So anything that'll run on XP will run on MCE. The MCE interface is just a program that sits on top of XP. If you quit MCE you have normal XP.

The Sweetspot guys are on the forum so maybe they'll give you an update on MCE functionality

There is no way that the Sweetspot card will ever be supported by MCE which requires a TV capture card to have an onboard hardware MPEG2 encoder.

I use sweetspot and MCE, simply launching DScaler when I want Sky or PS2 via the MCE menu. It minimises MCE and DScaler kicks in.

Obviously it can't record / timeshift / etc but its worth it for the stunning TV quality alone.

Like above, MCE is just XP Pro with domains taken out.

Gillykid said:
I use sweetspot and MCE, simply launching DScaler when I want Sky or PS2 via the MCE menu. It minimises MCE and DScaler kicks in.

Obviously it can't record / timeshift / etc but its worth it for the stunning TV quality alone.

Like above, MCE is just XP Pro with domains taken out.

Hi could can explain how to get descaler to kick in via the MCE menu.

thanks

Haven't done it, but there is a menu option to add programmes to the MCE interface. Would simply be to fire up the programme, unless it is designed to support MCE control.

There's a menu option that says More programs but it doesn't seem to allow you to launch any additional programs

depsi said:
Hi could can explain how to get descaler to kick in via the MCE menu.

thanks

Hi

Sorry - been away. You have two options, either add the program to the appropriate sub group of the start menu (don't have it in front of me) and this will add it to the More Programs menu. Alternatively if you have a search of thegreenbutton.com someone has managed to add it to the main menu via the registry.

Cheers

G

Whenever I tried launching Dscaler from the MCE 'more programs' I got an error regarding 'can't create the surface' or something ... think it's to do with MCE still having control of the overlay. If I clear the error, I can launch Dscaler normally .... very strange.

I run girder commands to swap between MCE and dscaler via buttons on my Harmony remote.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom