Wine as a gift - any suggestions?

RMCF

Distinguished Member
Looking to give a bottle (or two) to some neighbours for Xmas.

Anyone know of any good deals around the likes of either Tesco's or Sainsburys, where I might get a good quality bottle for half price? Don't want to give them a cheap bottle, so maybe if I could get a bottle for £15 - £20ish.

Red or white suggestions, or both.

nonumb

A Sancerre (sauvignon blanc) or chablis (Chardonnay) would be a good choice around that price for white. In terms of red I'd look at a pinot noir (Burgundy if buying french). I'm a big fan of those wines, especially a good Sancerre. You should pay at least £15 for a decent bottle but for sancerre and a burgundy you'll struggle to find a bottle for under £10.

A bottle of 2005 bordeaux would be a great gift if you can find one for £20 most likely a wine to be put down rather drink straight away.

Last edited:

djcla

Distinguished Member
only really drink red myself and you cant go wrong with a nice bottle of Châteauneuf-du-Pape imo

Dancook

Distinguished Member
only really drink red myself and you cant go wrong with a nice bottle of Châteauneuf-du-Pape imo

hah, this is on offer at £10 at sainsbury.

I bought a bottle for my Aunt, I unwrapped it and drank it tonight - i'll have to get another bottle :)

ObeyOne

hah, this is on offer at £10 at sainsbury.

I bought a bottle for my Aunt, I unwrapped it and drank it tonight - i'll have to get another bottle :)

Check out Asda.. picked up a couple of bottles for £8 each yesterday.

huntere

For something a little different....

Red
Marquis de Riscal Grand Reserva
Penfolds Bin 389 Cabernet Shiraz (the 2006 is blinding)

White
Cloudy Bay (NZ) Sauvignon Blanc

I love em all. My liver and wallet do not!

SkilledNutter

Blue Nun, £4 and comes in a wicked bottle.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom