Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Windvd jerky!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Paul D, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    Hi, i have been playing around with both Powerdvd 3.0 and Windvd 2.3,+2.4,+2.64!. Powerdvd gives smoother pictures(no jaggies)but colour/clarity not so good.
    Windvd 2.3 gives the smoothest playback but pictures are a little jagged(interlacing etc).
    Windvd 2.4 gives the best combination of smooth play back and colour/clarity, but with some jaggies.
    Windvd 2.64 gives the best colours/clarity/smoothness but stutters more than the other two!. I only notice the jerkiness on panning/zooming shots but it's annoying as it reminds me i'am watching a pc!.
    My laptop gives a better, smoother play back!
    Just a note, the laptop dvd light fickers every two seconds or so with the hard drive light constantly softly flickering. But my HCPC is the otherway around!. The DVD light goes ten to the dozen and the hard drive light is not far behind!.

AMD 800 Athlon (not thunderbird)
    Asus A7V Motherboard
    256MB PC133 CAS 3 Memory
    Asus Geforce 2 GTS 32MB DDR
    Sonic Fury 6 channel 5.1/DD DTS
    LG DVD rom 12 speed
    Alternating between Win ME and Win 98se!
    Direct X 8
    DMA enabled
    AGP port in bios set to 128mb aperture.
    NO other programmes as yet...
    If i could get Windvd 2.64 playing smoothly then it would be perfect. It makes the pictures look fantastic, it some how helps makes black look blacker!, with this scenes seem more 3D like. It makes the svideo pictures from my Panasonic A360 look very "flat" and detail is no contest!.
    Example:-
    On toystory 2, in the bedroom scene the wallpaper is blue. On the panny it looks like plain wallpaper (except on close-up shots, of course!), Also it shows up some panel structure on my MT1 projector. :mad:

On the HCPC it is totally clear that it is a stippled/woodchip textured pattern!. Because of the extra detail the panel structure is not visable. :eek:

I have already ordered a higher quaility svideo lead for my panny, as it has to run 8.5 metres i'am sure it is losing some picture quaility. :confused:
    Anybody else got any ideas?
    Maybe i should get a standalone processor, connect both sky and the DVD via RGB then output this "scaled" via VGA etc!
    Then just use the pc for large scale games enjoyment... :cool:

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear this. I have the same MB as you.

Are you running the latest Bios and most importantly the latest Via 4 in 1 drivers?

You can get both from www.amdmb.com files section.

Is hardware motion compensation on or off?

4. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    Yep i use dvdgenie and downloaded the lastest 4-1 via chipset drivers.
    The bios however remains "as bought" so that might be a new lead.
    The play back is very smooth ie no dropped frames, it's just panned shots seems to lose sync etc.
    The chip and motherboard are going back down stairs next week as i pinched them from the "family" PC so i could experiment!.
    The new chip will be:-
    AMD Thunderbird 1200 266hz fsb
    Asus A7M 266 motherboard
    256 mb PC2100 mem
    To be honest the faster chip is for gaming as my 650 P3 on my laptop plays DVDs fine. It uses the ATI mobility P card so that must have somthing to do with it.
    I am going to try different monitor settings, as at the moment it's set at 60hz but another post has suggested selecting a normal monitor in "options" and trying 48hz/or 60hz nstc/ or 72hz ie mutiples of 24fps or nstc 30hz 60hz 90hz.
    I do not find all the messing a chore, as i have seen the possible results seperatly, ie either smooth pic or smooth playback or clearer-vibrant pics etc i just have to combine them!. I am very close with windvd 2.64 so "heres hoping".....Paul

5. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah refresh rate is definitely a problem. You do need to go for 72hz. You should see an improvement. I know I did.

Regards Neil.

6. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    Jenz,....SORTED!!!!
    I tried picking a normal monitor ie 17" nec etc.
    I then was able to change the refresh rate.
    First i tried 72hz... WOW nearly perfect i was soooo pleased.
    Then i tried 75hz PERFECT!.
    I know 72 should match the 24fps(x3) of film but found it is totally smooth on 75hz.
    Maybe this is due to PAL dvds being used on 50hz tv's etc.
    I have yet to try a region one film but imagine 60hz would be best.
    I used Toystory 2 as a test.
    On the opening scene in space, the stars pan left and right.
    Any juddering shows up as little skips etc.
    60 hz the stars just jumped two or three inches!
    72hz they just jumped slightly.
    75hz they are super smooth beating my standalone Panny! ( Must be the video scaling in windvd).
    I just need a link to get the "xyy" software that lets you move the widescreen up/down so i can use my 16.9 "bottom" masking panel.

7. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534