1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windtalkers .. thought we had the best version..hehe

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Lux, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Comparing the R1 tto UKR2 u'd be forgiven for thinking that R2 is catching up and even surpassing it's american brother. well think again:
    Windtalkers: Director's Edition
    pictures: [Post edited by Mod]

Must **** all those off who bought the UKR2 last monday.
    -----------------

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I expect they'll be more ****** off with how unremarkable the movie is. I can't actually believe they've released a director's cut with 20 more minutes - I wonder if anyone will even notice the extra footage :rolleyes: :D At least there's audio commentary - gives Nic Cage an opportunity to say more than he did in the movie :laugh:

As usual, MGM really ruined the R2/R4 of this movie anyway with the player-generated captions throughout this movie. But particularly at the end when the closing text was displayed as if it were subtitles :mad:

3. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    [WILL YOU PLEASE STOP USING LANGUAGE LIKE THAT. Admin]

international masters:mad:
    Yes I understand the german and french DVDfans problems that they would get burntin english subs on those parts and then have to add another subtitle on top. Double soustitrage as the french call it.
    But the subs are the director's intention!!!! He didn't chose arial or times new roman for that font:mad:
    My LOTR FOTR UKR2 has the same but after enough viewings I know what they talk in elvish and at least u can switch those subs off.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not referring to those parts. When the actors speak in a foreign language (e.g. Navaho in this case) and player-generated subtitles come up rather than burnt in subs, I can live with that. After all, that's what I have to do with all foreign movies and it's not too bad (even if the fonts are usually horrible to look at).

What really annoys me is the on-screen captions that are usually centred in the middle of the screen. MGM remove these as well, so whereas you would've had a paragraph in the centre that concluded 'Windtalkers' (I imagine), instead you had to read it at the bottom, a few words at a time, as they put it as a subtitle stream.

I now try my best to stick to MGM R1 DVDs for this very reason (unless I know there are no on-screen captions in the movie, or it's a movie I don't care about too much which is going cheap).

5. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well they do that for the same reason. coz when the US version says : CIA HEADQUARTERS the german subtitle track will read CIA HAUPTQUARTIER.
    I see that my R1 xXx has those as well in case u take the french subtitle track.

6. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    pictures, initially removed by mod, can be found clicking on the link to dvdanswers.
    HTH

7. flat spot

flat spot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Frankly I thought the film was 'last' and would have been gutted if I'd bought any version.:boring:

8. danielzavitz

danielzavitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'd prefer the 'ultimate' version to carry the dts track from the japanese release.

9. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes the player generated subs look totally out of place on windtalkers I wish directors would kick up a fuss about burnt in subs not appearing. it does ruin the feel of the film.