windows xp

K

krusty

:( since last nite i have been getting popups saying my windows xp software is not genuine..when it is!!!! i have the validation codes, the certificate on the sticker on theback of my pc are all genuine..its starting to pee me off, as i knowthe software is geniune. we even registered the 25 number code when we first got the pc........help please

Pack Dude

I believe the microsoft support phone number is a free phone number give them a call and let some nice indian in a call center with a two second delay sort it all out for you.

There is also a work around on the net somewhere that stops the pop ups. Don't ask me where ive never had to use it.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
krusty said:
:( since last nite i have been getting popups saying my windows xp software is not genuine..when it is!!!! i have the validation codes, the certificate on the sticker on theback of my pc are all genuine..its starting to pee me off, as i knowthe software is geniune. we even registered the 25 number code when we first got the pc........help please
Ring Microsoft, they will sort it out for you. The phone number is free. And if it is really genuine, then you won't have any problems.

Buzza

Ditto to above - if you have a genuine then it should be sorted by a call to Microsoft. Please understand that you are not alone and many people with genuine Windows XP are getting this since the WGA download (I personally know someone with Dell laptop who got this 5 months in to ownership!).

See http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/genuine-microsoft-windows-farce/

for some links including one to stop the pop-up if you are unwilling to contact Microsoft right away.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Dom996 said:
XP Pro is single user, unless you have a volume licence.
But can be installed on 2 machines, from what i remember.

pixelated

Novice Member
Not legally you can't. Windows XP will install in theory on 1000 machines using the same serial... but you only own one copy of XP, so to install it on more than one computer would be in breach of their licensing laws. 99% certain of this.

Seth Gecko

retired member
Stuart Kirby said:
Not legally you can't. Windows XP will install in theory on 1000 machines using the same serial... but you only own one copy of XP, so to install it on more than one computer would be in breach of their licensing laws. 99% certain of this.
That's correct.

pixelated

Novice Member
Thank God, one of my sub-roles in my job is License Manager - I'd have been seriously considering my future if I'd gotten that wrong.... :rotfl:

overkill

Seth Gecko said:
That's correct.
Yup. Hence IT managers used to have shelves of full Windows boxes as each PC needed a seperate licence............:D

Rygar

Novice Member
sean5302 said:
You'll need to sort this, as it's alleged they will eventually disable all pcs with counterfeit software.
At the risk of being pedantic, all they can do is stop their own software from operating correctly. They have no means to disable anyones PC :)

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Rygar said:
They have no means to disable anyones PC :)
:rotfl: Best thing I've heard all day. IF Microsoft wanted to they could shutdown any and every counterfit OS installed.

Count your blessing that they haven't already done so.

Mylo

Novice Member
are these genuine MS pop up's ?

or the normal deluge of :censored: pop up's you get when the firewall is not set up properly?

andrew1810

Novice Member
Singh400 said:
:rotfl: Best thing I've heard all day. IF Microsoft wanted to they could shutdown any and every counterfit OS installed.

Which doesn't actually kill the pc, it would still be possible to use a bootable linux, rescue any data and then rebuild...to linux.

Mylo said:
are these genuine MS pop up's ?

or the normal deluge of pop up's you get when the firewall is not set up properly?
They are genuine Microsoft pop-ups, it installs itself on Windows Update

Rygar

Novice Member
Singh400 said:

As I said at the risk of being pedantic...my point being that XP is merely a piece of software running on hardware they don’t own & is none of their business. It is by no means an integral or necessary part of any PC, if the user chooses it not to be.

I think you mean they could shutdown every Microsoft counterfeit OS if they wanted. It's an important distinction.

As for getting files from a non operating MS OS...quite easy. As already said any one of several Linux live rescue CD's will load into memory without touching the hard drive.

There seems to be this misconception/implication that MS somehow have control over your hardware when they simply do not.

ufitsy

Singh400 said:

Don't forget the method in the madness here, if you didn't run a Mickysoft O/S legal or not then you would run somebody elses!