1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP version?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by CrispyXUK, Sep 13, 2004.

1. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Could anyone explain the differences between XP Pro MSDN, Retail & OEM are there any advantages of having any of these over another? I assume OEM wont come with a box, but what is MSDN?

2. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I assume the MSDN version is the developer edition (just going by the name), so I doubt you'll want that.

The OEM version can only be sold with an item of "non-peripheral hardware" - Hard disks, motherboards, cpu, even a stick of RAM I think. This version is typically sold with a new PC. The license is non-transferrable, and dies with the PC (you're supposed to stick the license sticker on the chassis). If a dealer will sell you an OEM XP disk on its own, they are by very definition "dodgy", and I personally wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

If you're building a new PC, it's a no-brainer - get the OEM along with the other parts. If not, I'd buy something like a cheap new hard disk for your PC and the OEM version - and it'll still be at least 50 quid cheaper than the retail version.

The only reason I would ever buy the retail version is if I knew I was going to transfer that XP license to a different PC in the near future.

As for package contents etc:

OEM - disk, license sticker and a tiny thin booklet (never read it and I've bought 7 of them in the last 6 months!), all in a sellophane wrapper. If you get anything different to this, it might be a wrong 'un.

Retail - Box containing license agreement and a stiff card wallet holding a tiny manual (getting started guide type thing) and the disk - license key on back of wallet. The box is mostly air!

The software itself is identical between the OEM and retail versions (you might find versions with different levels of service packs, but that's about all).

3. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Here goes:-

MSDN is MicroSoft Developer Network and is a paid for subscription serive that developers take out with Microsoft and receive software packs containing varius MS products depending on the level of subscription, some levels can contain all current Microsoft product, anyone who sells these disks on is really asking for it and anyone using them without the necessary licence is also in deep do-do....

Retail :- The one Joe public go and buy from the shops = legal.....

OEM :- Only supplied with a new PC or certian other qualifying products (hard disks for instance), rules for OEM are slightly different tha for retail product as well....For instance tranferring the licence from one pC to another is technically breaking the EULA (end user licence agreement).

Will that do?

4. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    We went for Home edition in the end, anyway took all the parts home and assembled the pc fine, installed windows that went fine but now everytime the machine boots it needs a boot dick in to boot from the harddisk, without the boot disk it says boot disk failure can anyone help? I tried fixboot but that didnt work :(

5. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
  6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Yep jumpers or boot order in the Bios gets my vote too....

7. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    boot order is set to hard disk > Floppy > CDROM, Hard Disk & CDROM are set to cable select which makes the Hard Disk the Slave & CDROM a Master, so you recommend I remove the jumper from the hard disk? I have tried all other jumper settings and nothing worked.

Thanks for your help so far guys :clap:

8. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Ah.....Do you by any chance have the hard disk and the CD-rom drive on the same ribbon cable?
    If so DONT....Use the Primary IDE channel for the hard disk and the secondary IDE channel for the CD-rom drive. So use two ribbon cables, one for each unit, they should both be set as master if used this way.
    In your Bios both units should correctly identified i.e. make and model, if the hard disk juts says hard disk the PC isn't seeing it......

Boot order would normally be floppy, cd, hard disk for most people.

9. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Like the man said.

1. Don't put hdd and cd on the same channel if you can possibly help it
    2. boot hdd really should be primary master
    3. I think you might want to set the hdd as master (rather than slave or cable select)

10. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Right, got another IDE cable to run the drives seperatly and that worked fine thanks

11. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    live and learn mate.... :lesson:

12. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Been building PC's for about 10 years and have never encountered that :confused: