Windows XP update restart wiped USB drive

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by Pgmabley, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Pgmabley

Pgmabley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi

Hope someone can help although I suspect that it's impossible.

As I said in the title, I've lost some mp4 files from my GoPro while skiing videos of my kids were being transferred via copy and paste (as opposed to cut and paste so i didnt lose files if anything went wrong!) on my xp PC from USB stick to my NAS drive.

I left it alone for the hour it said would be required but in the meantime windows downloaded an update and the PC decided that an automatic restart was required.

When I came back to it, the files on the NAS were fine up to the point of the update but the rest were missing. I looked at the USB to transfer the remainder but found that rather than the folder that contained the individual mp4 videos there was a single corrupted file.

I tried a file recovery program and this located some files but they don't seem to work.

I'm a bit annoyed that this can happen, is it possible to get my files back and can I stop windows auto restarting?

2. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi, I have used Diskdigger to recover lost photos and files from a formatted USB stick, pretty sure this will work for you.:)

Download DiskDigger | DiskDigger

3. Pgmabley

Pgmabley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks I'll try it.