Windows XP on Intel Macs finally here: Anyone brave enough to try it?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Pbryanw, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    So it looks like the hack has been verified and is working but is anyone brave enough to use it and, if so, why would you want Windows on a Mac?

Anyway here is the link for those brave souls:

LINK REMOVED

2. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    well the new macs are almost pcs, there is a lot of software you can get on pcs but not macs. the main thing that puts me off a mac apart from the price is the software. once mac get over themselves and let folks run xp on macs or mac os on a pc it'll be a better world. at least the hackers have finally allowed this, ironically with mac OS running on pc's long before intel macs came out

3. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    It has been verified and it does work. Its dual bootable, so you can run XP and MacOS. The difficult bit now is to get the DVD dirves, and drivers for various thigns to be installed.

4. satinder

satinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I am still laughing about Mac's having to resort to using Intel proccessors, Mac's are basically just PC's now. So all the Mac lovers out there cant be all high and mighty about supposedly having a superior computer.

There is a video out there that shows the Mac loading up Windows Xp, heres the link.

Sat

5. Composite

Composite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but they can be high and mighty about having a superior oprating system...;) ;)

6. triplea4uk

triplea4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Well MAC is mostly owned by MS

7. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    So why does everyone want to run WinXP on one then?

8. satinder

satinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yes you are right, just like the BBC is owned by Sky.

Sat

P.S I am joking, and what you said is the stupidest sentence i have heard since your muttering on the NTL vs Sky thread.

9. bibamus

bibamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43

I`d be interested to know what part of Mac is owned by Microsoft, can you expand a little? Or is it just something "they" say

Allan

10. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    It's becasue Bill Gates owns 49% of Apples shares, so he is right.

11. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    It's true.

And Mac OS X is actually Windows ME with a new skin. No, really.

12. PaulAnderson

PaulAnderson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm actually going to try this for a friend. He wants a Mac Mini Dual Core running XP. Don't blame him to be honest. The mac mini is stunning, and only £400ish.

Might think about one myself if all goes well.

Paul

13. Composite

Composite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really don't know! I was provoked into being "High & Mighty" by Satinder - he started it...

14. satinder

satinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I didnt provoke anything, i simply took the mick out of any Mac lovers. If you happen to be a Mac lover then only god will forgive you :devil:.

Anyway enough flaming and bickering just check out the link i provided above and watch how the Mac becomes a quality PC :D.

Sat

15. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Here's a link to the contest that started it all off if anyone's interested:

http://onmac.net/

$13000 doesn't seem like a bad return on your 1337 H4x0r skills (see I'm down with the kids :) ).

Also, from this page, you can download the dual-booting program & instructions but install it at your own risk! :)

16. gingin

gingin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi all

i am a web designer who designs and builds websites on a mac.

i always have to test websites on a pc now, as i use a lot of css and things can look quite different on a pc. But looking into it i could pick up a new pc for about £300.

my point is i love macs, but they r expensive and for the price of windows xp i could buy a crappy pc that could test and trouble shoot the problems i come across...

jenny talia

17. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Watch the MAC viruses start popping up now as well. Only reason that all the wild viruses now are Windows based is because 90% of the online population use a Windows OS

The majority of Windows viruses attack exploits created by user friendly features. Windows can be locked down to a securty level as tight as any UNIX system but the user interface also becomes locked down to that of a MAC.

Viruses for Macs are possible and will happen, same as any other UNIX variant.

Watch the Mac virus count start to grow now as the Intel based MACs increase Apple's online end user presence giving the opportunity of more coverage to competitive virus writing gangs

18. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    Apple have released 2 urgent patches in the last month or so for this very reason.
    I can't see why anyone would want to spend all that money on a mac just to ruin it by putting XP on it :confused:

19. bibamus

bibamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hmm, not sure thats true, but many Windows users would like to think that. The main reason Macs are virus free right now is the way that the Mac os was built intelligently from the ground up with extensive security features. It never had any open ports ( Win XP came with 5 already open) In Windows, you have to turn security on, so many users are happily using an insecure machine not knowing there are features they can use to help stop viruses invading them. Not sure Windows will ever be as secure as any recently bought Mac is right now though.

Sure, someone will write a Mac virus soon, but it will be harder to catch.

Allan

20. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    well my thoughts about apple/mac pcs is that there are a lot of people who would buy them for the looks/style, but are put off as they are incompatible with the software and files they use on a daily basis. as most workplaces use windows based systems, you cant just take your work home and use it on a mac, or connect your mac laptop to your offices pc based network

so by mac moving to intel, i think it's a step closer to officially allowing people to run thier own choice of OS on the hardware, and apple won't be loosing out

it would also be nice if apple sold the OS seperately to compete with MS, but the shareholders don't want to do that as they think they will sell less mac pcs if people can run the OS on cheaper hardware

i'm semi interested in a mac mini as a HTPC, but it's still too expensive and upgrades restricted/limited, partly due to the physical size, but i wouldn't want to run mac OS in it, and there must be literally thousands if not tens of thousands of people with similar views. the mac mini is one of the few apple products that won't look so dated in a couple of years. thats the problem with some of the other mac products, by making something so fashionably stylish they can easily become dated, and the nature of mac products means that you can't easily (if at all) just replace parts or cases, particularly imacs. you can take a 5 year old pc and stick it in a new case for £30/£40 and update the look, and with a new monitor you can't tell the difference. for many pc users, a reasonably well specced pc of 5 years ago is still sufficient for many users needs (email, web surfing, mp3s, typing, graphics, etc), most people would maybe just want to get rid of the CRT for a flat screen monitor. with an imac tho, your pretty stuck, particulary the old style CRT cases in bright colours, most people wouldn't want to be caught dead with something like that these days

21. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    There are virii for any computer environment, and Mac or pc, we are all equally vunerable. Virus writers get more mileage out of pc's but if they were to turn their attention to other operating systems they could do just as much damage. The only reason Macs are any more secure (and even that is debateable) is becuase they were built with a more singular purpose while XP based machines have had to have massive multiple functionality built into them. There are companies out there who make their money by finding holes in Windows then getting MS to pay them for the fix. If those same companies turn their attention to the Mac OS's you will see a similar frequency of patching, and therefore a heightened impression of vunerability.

22. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    So the simple question its:

If I buy a mac mini with an intel processor... Will it run windows XP perfectly? Or is that still a while off... I would love a nice small white computer but dont fancy 'dumbing down' to use the apple OS

23. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    seeing as they've only just managed to do it, i'd hold off a while until a few more "normal" (ie. not geeks) people try it and run xp for a while. one thing tho, is that they have dual booted, i wonder if it's easier to get rid of the mac OS altogether and just run xp

24. rob_finch

rob_finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Actually, the easiest way is to use OSX and not bother with XP at all! ;)

Seriously though, why do so many people dismiss OSX so readily? Sure it's different, and your current apps will need to be re-found/replaced, but it's hardly the end of the world if you switch. Give it some time, and you'll find yourself using it for what it is and not continually comparing it to Windows.

25. bibamus

bibamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    So, apart from the reduced amount of software that is available for the Mac ( and that is really only games ) what extra functionality has the Windows operating system got that Mac OS X hasnt?
    I run Win XP and Mac, I dont feel like I`m missing out on anything using the Mac. ( I can also run a full version of XP Pro on my Mac MIni using Virtual PC, but I dont feel I need to now)
    I run full Office applications, Photoshop CS and CS2, Astronomy software, Internet, email, a multifunction printer, a Pocket PC PDA, webcam, I can connect to any digital camera and video camera ( USB2 and firewire), it runs a wired and wireless network ( connected to Win XP and 2000 machines) I can burn CD`s, and DVD`s in any format, watch DVD`s listen to cd`s, have a dozen programs running on the desktop at any one time, properly, switch between any of them, clear the desktop with one keystroke, I can use Skype, MSN messenger and chat as well as many other chat programmes.
    In fact, I cant think of anything any of my Windows machines can do that the Mac can`t. Can you?

I just think all this Mac bashing is done by people who have never used a Mac. Why dont you give it a try? You dont need to have just one or the other, I have both and sometimes even turn XP on. You just might find out how good they are. But, after trying both, I prefer Macs now. I didnt think I`d be saying that a year ago.

Then of course, theres always Linux to have a go at. :devil:

Allan

26. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    as i mentioned before, people want to be able to run the same apps as in the workplace, and take files home and be able to use them. the average office person isn't IT savvy and aren't going to bother arsing about trying to find alternate apps. people want to be able to accept discs or emails from other people and run them without hassle

27. bibamus

bibamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    What files will they want to take home. If they are Office files ( Word Powerpoint Excel Access) they will all run on a Mac with Microsoft Office for OS X ( If you bought a Windows PC, you would have to buy Office to run these as well) I use a PC at work and have to be able to work on Word Excel Powerpoint and Access as well as images, I use the Mac at home to do this quite easily with no technical expertise. Everything is loaded on a USB stick that can be used by both and I can e mail attachments between the two. I get e mails from PCs and Macs and can read both. I can run any attachments ( except viruses) . What am I missing out on?
    Allan

28. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    i've worked in an almost pc-less office before, and everyone hated using the macs. they couldn't get a decent accounts or payroll package so those were done on a pc. almost every day someone swore at the mac because someone sent them a disc that was pc only and wouldn't run on the mac - presentations, etc - and the same with file attachments. another great source for timewasting was discs getting "stuck" in the drive. there wasn't a way to physically eject discs out the drive as the button was electronic, and wouldn't recognise discs being stuck in the drive in the first place, so wouldn't even bother to eject them. i didn't suffere these problems much, but i did find crashes on a daily basis, which really annoyed me mainly as mac fans tend to slag windows users about crashing. i use xp and 2000 on a daily basis and rarely have things crashing on me, again in about 10 years i've only encountered viruses twice, with the last in the last millenium.

whilst you can get apps to do certain things on a mac, you have a far wider choice of hardware and software on pc, and the options are usually cheaper. for the same money you can have a far better pc setup, and support is far easier to get as so many people are used to using pc's. try calling an agency for an urgent temp worker, and then telling them you need someone that can use macs, you will greatly limit your chances of finding someone, and if you do find someone you will usually pay for the privelidge. it's the same for employing permanent staff, many people are comfortable working with windows, but not with mac. most of the app's i use at work won't work with a mac

and why would you want to run a pc emulator on a mac to run pc software when you can get a pc to do it instead? your just going to slow everything down, particularly on the non intel mac processors

i remember telling a mac fan a couple of years ago that i heard mac were shifting over to intel (long before it was announced/leaked, but still months/years after they started developing) and the reaction was of complete disbelief and prompted another round of mac arguing. i dunno why mac users are so argumentative about a bloody computer system

after using macs i would never ever suggest to anyone that they get a mac over a pc, you can get far better value for money and far greater help and support using pcs and windows. maybe in the next year or so things will change if we can finally get the option of running either OS on either hardware, but with vista on the horizon i'm sure they will resolve a number of issues that mac users use in the argument against pcs, such as the security issue, i understand everything will be tied down by default, so it's up to the experienced user to turn off security settings if required. as someone else said, if mac was the more popular choice, it would in turn have a far bigger share of problems with viruses. mac only has a 5% share of the computer marketplace. if it was a greater product it would have a greater share of the marketplace. it's not like we are compariing fiat cars to bmws with such a great jump in price being the main reason people choose pc's. just over 20 years ago mac's were more advanced and user friendly with the GUI over DOS, which was before the big PC boom, but they lost out big style by MS, mainly due to narrowminded business plans in thier refusal to allow clone macs or OS to run on non apple hardware. that decision cost them a tremendous share of the home computing market, giving a minority share rather than even a reasonable share

you even admit that you can't run many games on a mac, showing that the pc is the more versatile choice, as well as being the most affordable and upgradable, and of course you can build a far more powerful pc than mac, with better graphics capabilities. so why would anyone want a mac?

29. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    the world doesn't revolve around the MS office suite. altho it is ironic that you need to run MS products on your mac to be able to take your work home with you isn't it? you would have been better off getting a pc, and save yourself a few quid whilst at it

30. bibamus

bibamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Microsoft have invested a lot of money in Office for Mac, I dont have a problem running it on a Mac. The software is available for both, I dont see it as ironic that I use it, I am just excercising my free will in buying something I want to use. I have 4 PC`s networked to the Mac, all have Office installed. I could use either, but I prefer to use the Mac.

Unlike others, i`m not trying to make out that one is better than the other. Apples small market share only shows how much of a Monopoly Microsoft has. I think its good that there is some competition for them. But while so many people are brainwashed into thinking Macs are no good, this will never change, unless people make up their own mind and try something new.

As for poor graphics capabilities, have you heard of Pixar? You know, Toy Story, Incredibles Monsters, Finding Nemo etc etc. All rendered an an Apple Mac! Pretty good for a computer that has poor graphics capabilities!

But, dont listen to me. I like Macs. I like Fiats too, much better than BMW`s, and owned by Ferrari.
    Allan