• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Windows XP / Media Center

X

xelallah

What is the difference between Media Center and normal Windows XP? I'm asking this mainly because I want to stream videos from my PC through my '360. If I was to install Windows Media Center on a new hard disk, would my existing WinXP programs still work?

Singh400

Distinguished Member
This question has been asked many many times, someone should make a FAQ

Anyway, the only difference is that with MCE you can't join a domain. Apart from that XP Pro and XP Mce are identical (apart from the obvious).

If you installed XP Pro on hard drive #1, and then XP Mce on hard drive #2. Then yes, your XP Pro programs would still work. As you are dual booting.

X

xelallah

Oki doki cheers, sorry for asking the question again. Haven't actually been bothered to look through pages and pages of posts to see if it had been asked before, so many threads get created, it could be on page 27 for all i know. Cheers for the help tho!

Singh400

Distinguished Member
xelallah said:
Oki doki cheers, sorry for asking the question again. Haven't actually been bothered to look through pages and pages of posts to see if it had been asked before, so many threads get created, it could be on page 27 for all i know. Cheers for the help tho!
Try using the search function next time eh? ;) :D

D

Deleted member 39001

I personally think Media Centre is a complete waste of time, it's great for the Xbox's extended thing but on a normal PC?? Why limit what a normal PC is capable of just for the sake of a more simple user interface? You can stream media etc with any XP version and use them as PVR's.
Just my opnion that I don't see the point of it. Or can you only stream media to a 360 with MCE and not any other XP version?

D

Deleted member 39241

apolloa said:
Why limit what a normal PC is capable of just for the sake of a more simple user interface?
The only downside of MCE over XP is not being able to join a domain (see above post) which most people don't need. Apart from that they operating systems are the same, but MCE has an extra app.

J

Jahan

Im using mecia center on my sony laptop, ease of use with the media center capabilities is perfect, program guides, music, picture albums, on digital tv recording etc, like the above poster said the ONLY difference is that you cant join a domain, otherwise all office programs/games/internet/work as normal. You can do more between a 360 and media cente pc than you can between xp pro and a 360.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom