1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP Lite?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by chicken balti, Mar 3, 2003.

1. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if this is in the right forum, mods will probably wield their big sticks and shift it if it isn't.

Just want to know if there is a cut-down, bare bones version of XP yet and what I have to do to make mine the same. Some Australian guy had a website that showed you how to do it with Win 98, worked a treat as well. The reason for wanting to do this is because I want to use a machine purely for gaming. I don't need internet, e-mail, networking, media player or any of the other crap that will get in the way. Just a lean mean OS without the baggage will do me fine, should start a lot quicker and improve my benchmarks as well.

So, can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aye.

Called Linux.

3. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, the thought did cross my mind. But I had such a good result with Win 98 I though that a cut-down version of XP, which is pretty stable anyway, would be so much better.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IE is built-in with Windows 2000 and XP. Probably doing a forceful uninstall of the .DLL's would be a bad move.

I would use Windows 2000, more stable than XP (on my PC's), and smaller HD space required.

Windows 98SE is probably the most nippiest OS for games. Except of course Mame in a Linux OS.

5. CW1000

CW1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The group that made Win98 Lite have been working on 2000/XP lite but they are taking a long time.

It's currently in Beta and can remove IE, but no release date has been announced.

6. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you want is to go through a good optimisation of XP! With the increasing use of PC's as HCPCs and pure gaming machines, there's a heck lot of information around about this.

The main thing is to sort out the unnecessary services that run, since the generic XP setup is a "one size fits all" affair - this o/c club guide is a good start.

Video editing is also improved by de-gumphing (sp!!) the machine, so those guides will be helpful too.