windows xp compatability

Vection

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

does anyone know how to make XP more compatable with 'old' games? I bought the original comand & conquer and quake 2 but they wont run in XP. I'm asuming its because they are 16bit games. I've tried the built in xp compatability settings with no luck.suicide:

Are there any windows 98 emulators for xp? I hate mucking around with dual boot systems they always seem to be more trouble than they are worth.

I've got loads of old games that wont play, any ideas.......?

:(
cheers

If i remember correctly 95 and 98,98se were dos based OS
ME,2000,XP aren't.
I think direct x 7 and below are dos based drivers whereas 8 and above arn't.
So if your trying to use a dos based driver set on a non dos based OS you'll get some....issues.
Try uninstalling 9. whatever dx version you have and using the version that comes with the game!
I'm sure i read this somewhere.......try it...but dont qote me :)

i havent had a problem running those 2 games !
try the official sites to see if there is any patches

Trying to uninstall DirectX is an absolute nightmare at the best of times. To the best of my knowledge, a complete fresh install of Windows is the only way to do it properly. And windows XP comes with DirectX 8 (I think, or it may be 9) as standard, so I don't think it's a viable option. I may be wrong though...

I think there is a way you can force older games to run, I have it wrote do somewhere but do not where I will have to have a look if someone does not answer in the mean time.

Quake 2 is for windows and should therefore have no problems, maybe you have a config problem, command & conquer should work if you use a soundblaster/adlib sound emulator

Is there not a compatabilty option on XP to run older programmes simulating 95/98/me etc?
I've got a very old game running ok just now on my XP machine whose name escapes me just now , like Dungeon Master set in Waterdeep.....nope it's gone...it's a dos game and didn't need tweaking or anything.

Panic

Originally posted by General Panic
Is there not a compatabilty option on XP to run older programmes simulating 95/98/me etc?
I've got a very old game running ok just now on my XP machine whose name escapes me just now , like Dungeon Master set in Waterdeep.....nope it's gone...it's a dos game and didn't need tweaking or anything.

Panic

Waterdeep was in Dungeon Keeper wasn’t it?

If you're trying to run DOS games, I'd recommend downloading the excellent VDMSound, which provides Soundblaster/Adlib + low-level CD-ROM emulation for Windows 2K + XP. It's not too complicated to use (provided you know a bit about how DOS works), and is remarkably effective. Best of all, it's free!

Originally posted by Garrett
Waterdeep was in Dungeon Keeper wasn’t it?

Nah , Dungeon Keeper was just a made up place wasn't it.
It's not Bards Tale , Dungeon Master or Black Crypt. You make up a party of 4 , it's quite colourful....grrrrr....i just cant't get the title in my head.:mad:
It'll come.

Panic

Eye of the Beholder ! :smashin: :D
Old Dos game but runs ok in XP , must just be certain old Dos games that have problems.

Panic

Right click on the programs shortcut, select
properties /
Compatibility /

Tick the box that says ' Run this program in compatibility mode for ' and select the appropriate operating system.

Run the program and hopefully it should work!

All the best!

where can i get some better screensavers on xp as the ones ive got are crud

wouldnt you rather just turn the monitor off and save on your electricity bill ? :D

actually i meant backgrounds;D

I just downloaded the matrix screensaver after watching the new dvd last night on www.thematrix.com
Only any good if your a Matrix fan though.

Jelly , seeing as you posted i min before me let me just say , as above but download backgrounds instead of screensaver :)

I've messed around with the compatability setting in windows but with no luck. I get a dialog box that tells me there was a problem with the dynamic entry link. I've got no Idea what this is or how to resolve it.
I got quake 2 working, more by luck than knowlwdge but the others still wont run.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom