windows xp compatability

Vection

Standard Member
Hi,

does anyone know how to make XP more compatable with 'old' games? I bought the original comand & conquer and quake 2 but they wont run in XP. I'm asuming its because they are 16bit games. I've tried the built in xp compatability settings with no luck.suicide:

Are there any windows 98 emulators for xp? I hate mucking around with dual boot systems they always seem to be more trouble than they are worth.

I've got loads of old games that wont play, any ideas.......?

:(
cheers

P

PLASTICTAFF

If i remember correctly 95 and 98,98se were dos based OS
ME,2000,XP aren't.
I think direct x 7 and below are dos based drivers whereas 8 and above arn't.
So if your trying to use a dos based driver set on a non dos based OS you'll get some....issues.
Try uninstalling 9. whatever dx version you have and using the version that comes with the game!
I'm sure i read this somewhere.......try it...but dont qote me :)

Solar

i havent had a problem running those 2 games !
try the official sites to see if there is any patches

t-force

Trying to uninstall DirectX is an absolute nightmare at the best of times. To the best of my knowledge, a complete fresh install of Windows is the only way to do it properly. And windows XP comes with DirectX 8 (I think, or it may be 9) as standard, so I don't think it's a viable option. I may be wrong though...

Garrett

I think there is a way you can force older games to run, I have it wrote do somewhere but do not where I will have to have a look if someone does not answer in the mean time.

CrispyXUK

Quake 2 is for windows and should therefore have no problems, maybe you have a config problem, command & conquer should work if you use a soundblaster/adlib sound emulator

General Panic

Novice Member
Is there not a compatabilty option on XP to run older programmes simulating 95/98/me etc?
I've got a very old game running ok just now on my XP machine whose name escapes me just now , like Dungeon Master set in Waterdeep.....nope it's gone...it's a dos game and didn't need tweaking or anything.

Panic

Garrett

Originally posted by General Panic
Is there not a compatabilty option on XP to run older programmes simulating 95/98/me etc?
I've got a very old game running ok just now on my XP machine whose name escapes me just now , like Dungeon Master set in Waterdeep.....nope it's gone...it's a dos game and didn't need tweaking or anything.

Panic

Waterdeep was in Dungeon Keeper wasn’t it?

t-force

If you're trying to run DOS games, I'd recommend downloading the excellent VDMSound, which provides Soundblaster/Adlib + low-level CD-ROM emulation for Windows 2K + XP. It's not too complicated to use (provided you know a bit about how DOS works), and is remarkably effective. Best of all, it's free!

General Panic

Novice Member
Originally posted by Garrett
Waterdeep was in Dungeon Keeper wasn’t it?

Nah , Dungeon Keeper was just a made up place wasn't it.
It's not Bards Tale , Dungeon Master or Black Crypt. You make up a party of 4 , it's quite colourful....grrrrr....i just cant't get the title in my head.:mad:
It'll come.

Panic

General Panic

Novice Member
Eye of the Beholder ! :smashin: :D
Old Dos game but runs ok in XP , must just be certain old Dos games that have problems.

Panic

GJC

Right click on the programs shortcut, select
properties /
Compatibility /

Tick the box that says ' Run this program in compatibility mode for ' and select the appropriate operating system.

Run the program and hopefully it should work!

All the best!

where can i get some better screensavers on xp as the ones ive got are crud

Solar

wouldnt you rather just turn the monitor off and save on your electricity bill ? :D

General Panic

Novice Member
I just downloaded the matrix screensaver after watching the new dvd last night on www.thematrix.com
Only any good if your a Matrix fan though.

General Panic

Novice Member
Jelly , seeing as you posted i min before me let me just say , as above but download backgrounds instead of screensaver :)

Vection

Standard Member
I've messed around with the compatability setting in windows but with no luck. I get a dialog box that tells me there was a problem with the dynamic entry link. I've got no Idea what this is or how to resolve it.
I got quake 2 working, more by luck than knowlwdge but the others still wont run.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom