windows vista wont boot up- HELP! "stop: 0x000000d1 driver_irql_not_less_or_equal"

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Odo1991, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Odo1991

Odo1991
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey,
    i built my own computer about a month ago. last week i found out that there was a problem with it reading audio cds, so i tried many different things but nothing helped. I decided i will update my computer, ill reinstall vista but have all the files kept.
    I did that and everything worked fine but once i loaded it up it didnt even recognise the cd drive. I managed to make it recognise the cd drive through microsoft forums.

I worked on it for another 3 hours last night, on normal word documents and than i shut down the computer as i went to bed.
    When i woke up and turned it on it wouldnt turn on. It asked me to put in the vista cd which i did and it ran windows files. it finished loading the windows files, carried on to the window where it loads up the OS (which i think is similar to the 1 of te windows installation) and than it stops.
    It takes me to a blue page saying "stop: 0x000000d1 driver_irql_not_less_or_equal". I checked on the interent and it says that those problems occur when you have more than 3GB ram (i have 4) or when you have a NVIDIA Chipset installed (my graphics card is 1).
    Other people on the internet had similar problems but in their case they could boot up windows and i cant.
    Im desprate for ideas as i need my computer to work ASAP!!!!
    please get back to me :D

2. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
    It does sound like a conflict , but have you run any anti vires software? or run spybot, super antispy etc?

3. Odo1991

Odo1991
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i didnt run at the time any anti virus.. although i doubt i had a virus. the computer was brand new and worked perfectly fine. the cd drive annoyed me but i think it was due to registry problems rather than a virus. even last night it worked perfectly fine which is extremly weird that this morning it stopped working.
    I obviously cant run an anti virus now as i cant even get to my user.
    i originally thought it might have been a problem with my Hard drive and that it got deleted but im not sure if thats it.
    Any suggestions?

4. Synchro

Synchro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,538
    Try booting up in safe mode.

5. cdldt

cdldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    When you receive the STOP error, is any particular .SYS file listed?

6. Odo1991

Odo1991
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought about that..
    how do i boot in safe mode? and when i do.. say i get on my user what shall i do? i dont want to boot on safe mode everytime obviously.. where is the problem rooted?

7. Odo1991

Odo1991
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes i get an nvstor.SYS listed..
    what does taht mean?

8. cdldt

cdldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    That's the nVidia chipset drivers, or more specifically the SATA controller driver.

I was getting this error with that driver on my Dell Dimension E521 under heavy disk I/O. The only solution for me is to use the "Standard IDE Controller" driver.

Some people have reported that the newer chipset drivers from www.nvidia.com resolve the issue for them.

9. Odo1991

Odo1991
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats already good to know where the problem is :D
    so what should i do? shall i try to log on the computer on safe mode and install that driver??
    do you recon that would work?
    if you could give me a bit of an idea how to get to safe mode that would be great as im not exactly sure..
    also once i get in the user shall i just install the driver as i install any other program and than restart my computer?
    thanks alot!

10. Odo1991

Odo1991
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok.. i read up in the interent about how to get to safe mode.. and it said somewhere that i should get to the boot menu and that if it asks me to choose a hardware (options of Hard drive, CD rom, floppy disk) i should choose Hard Drive and that i would get all the options of the booting including safe mode.
    I tried that but for some reason the Hard Drive doesnt appear on mine so i cant choose it and therefore cant get to choose safe mode...
    at this point im kidna lost :D any suggestions??