Windows Upgrade ?

S

satchmo

Hi - I know the question I'm about to ask is probably really basic & 'dumb' but I still don't know the answer ! If I am going to upgrade from Windows 2000 to XP Home, will all the stuff on my computer still be on there afterwards or does it get wiped in the upgrade process ?

Cheers & Thanks in advance - Satchmo.

Wiped, if you do it properly. Doing a major upgrade like that is much better done on a cleanly formatted hard drive. If you only have one hard drive, you can partition it first and create a second 'data' partition, then copy all your data to that. Then format the original C: partition and install xp, it's just a case then of installing drivers, getting updates and installing all your apps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your question is actually not at all basic or "dumb" . Some of your stuff may still be on the HD after the upgrade install but it isnt worth finding out the hard way that it is either inassesible or plain vanished. My experience is that unless you have Partition Magic and can use it or happen to have free "unpartitioned" space on your hard drive and can partition it with Microcofts disc mgt tool, Lisas well meant advice may be hard to follow.
You could
1) copy your data on to a cd or dvd or an
2) external hard drive
then reformat, partition and install a "clean" XP: much better really
If you do have the hard disc space, you could install xp on another partiton and temporarily have a dual boot system , carefully remove all you wanted from 2000, then wipe out its partition. If that last bit sounds tricky, stick to the simplest method you can cope with
Good luck :smashin:

Fair enough. Satchmo, if you need any more help, we are here to help :)

Many thanks for all your help & advice. It's a bit more complicated than I thought ! I might have to wait a bit - until I've backed up all my stuff.

Thanks again - Satchmo.

its things like email lists, web favourites, filter lists etc that are the most pain IMV. Applications and data tightly linked and while easy to save your data folders its the stuff bound to the apps that takes the time and effort. You may be lucky and be able to use on the patent transfer progs out there but I have yet to find one that picks up everything I need so I just have to plough through it all manually.
YMMV of course.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom