1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Update-Critical Updates

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Donald, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Donald

Donald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am running Windows XP and have recently updated using the Service Pack 1 CD which I obtained from Microsoft. In light of all the recent problems with worms and viruses I decided it would be prudent to visit windows update and bring myself up to date with the latest critical downloads. When I arrived there were about 28 critical updates selected for download representing about 37MB worth. With a 56K modem this would take forever. My question is can anyone tell me if these updates can be downloaded in smaller bits as you seem to be able to deselect them. If so, is it critical which order you take them in. They don't appear to be in chronological order. Sorry for the long winded thread, but I don't seem to be able to find the answer in Windows XP in a Nutshell or Windows XP: The Missing Manual.

2. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    It doesn't really matter which order you do them in, and you can do a couple at a time if it makes it easier for you.

Try to do the big ones first (IE 6 updates and so-on) as they could do away with one or two of the smaller patches.

3. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It is worth checking out the CD on some PC magazines, as sometimes they carry updates and service packs on them, especiallly the larger ones such as IE6 SP1

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just under 2 hours actually ;) As said previously, if it's easier, just take a few at a time. Order isn't important.

:smoke:

5. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    You can just remove the preselected patches and download one or two at a time, or you can use the 'personalise windows update' and download file(s), save them to PC (or CDrom for archiving) then install each patch as required, also archive them so incase of a reinstall of windows, no need to re-download them all again!

6. owenw

owenw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Let WindowsXP sort itself out :)

Go into Start > Control Panel > System

Click on the Automatic Updates tab and tick the "Keep my computer up to date" tick box.

There are 3 options below as to how the updates are installed (automatically or with user notification).

Windows will then automatically check for and download any new patches any time you go online without you having to check.

You don't need to stay online for each entire patch file to download as it'll resume from where it left off last time you were online.

It's still worth checking the Windows Update website if there is an urgent patch for a worm or virus attack or other security issue.

Owen

7. Donald

Donald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your input on this issue. It's greatly appreciated. Anyone aware of any publications that give more information on things like this?