Question Windows Update “insufficient disk space” even after disk clean up.

goshmon

Standard Member
I have a tablet pc loaded with Windows 10 version 1511.

I cannot use Windows Update to change to latest version because it responds “insufficient disk space”, even though I have done everything possible to clear the “C” drive of unnecessary files etc.

I understand that in the past when the “insufficient disk space” message was received the user was then invited to specify a different drive as supplementary disk space. This invitation does not appear now.

Is there any way I can use a usb flash drive to temporarily provide more disk space for the update process?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
You could move some of your files onto it.

If this is one of those tablets with ridiculously tiny amounts of storage (e.g. 32GB) and you've already moved pretty much everything off it then I'd be returning it as not fit for purpose.

goshmon

Standard Member
Thank you for your response techquest,

I’ve been away but I’m back now!

To answer your question, it is a Prestigio, model Multipad Visconte 32 GB with extra 32GB via SD card acting as drive D.
There is about 50MB free space on drive C, about 24GB on drive D.

I have tried Free up space for Windows 10 updates and Troubleshoot problems updating Windows 10 and Free up drive space in Windows 10. None helped unfortunately. Also I have tried many other standard procedures many times without sucess.

The first time I tried the Windows Update app the “insufficient disk space” message came with the invitation to specify a different drive to gain more disk space, this I am certain about. However, I did not respond at the time because it so surprised me. The invitation no longer appears now, but over time I have seen references to it in various blogs.

So I still have the problem.

Yours faithfully, goshmon.

techquest

Do you have an external drive or USB stick (at least 16GB) you can connect via the USB port?
Do you have access to another PC/Laptop?
What version was the update?

Last edited:

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
CBA to wade through the links so apologies if you've already tried this. ;)

Run Disk Cean-up & click on Clean up system files. Give it time to scan the disk (C) & populate. Look for "Windows update clean up" & it will probably be several GB, especially on a 4 year old version! Also look for "Previous Windows Installation"s. W10 now deletes a previous version after 30 days but not sure if the original versions did. Tick both checkboxes & then check the preselected checkboxes to make sure you're happy for those to be deleted too. Then just hit OK & go & make a coffee or two while it ginds away.

Hopefully at the end you'll then have enough space but if not, you may need to temporarily remove some programs. One of the weeknesses I;ve seen with update is that even when downloading a new version, it will also want to simultaneously download all the updates to the old version, thereby increasing the required disk space.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Unfortunately these Win10 tablets or mini pcs are prone to this issue, they come with such tiny storage space that it renders the device unusable after a period of time.

techquest

No disc cleanup is going to help. As @Greg Hook states, this is down to the dynamics of this type of tablet. But If @goshmon has some of the devices asked above in post #7 then there is a way to get this done with a particular version of the W10 update.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
No disc cleanup is going to help.
Really? Here's just such a device just after updating to 1903, also running Office 2013 Plus.

C.PNG

And here after a Disk Cleanup, with plenty of space for the next update..

c2.PNG

So I'd respectfully suggest that you're both wrong. Properly managed, these low capacity machines work just fine. The issue is that Joe Public isn't going to have the knowledge required to manage them & the manufacturers don't tell them that.

techquest

I've done a number of them and as you say you generally have to have the knowledge to get anywhere with it. In this case @goshmon has tried the usual stuff in windows to overcome the problem, which clearly isn't going to resolve the issue. Such a device and the exact device are two entirely different things.

Can it be done, Yes, it needs to be done a different way and hopefully if @goshmon comes back to the thread and he has the necessary tools to carry it out then we can talk him through it.

Last edited: