1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows share problem driving me nuts?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by probedb, Jun 18, 2005.

1. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Hi all,

Got a real strange one here. I currently have a main PC and HTPC networked over a switch and am using normal Windows sharing between them. They both have fully updated XP Pro SP2. Both have the same username/password combination.

Now on the main machine I have a drive shared as 'movies', under this are multiple directories including one called 'Music'. Now under this on the disc are two folders 'Live' and 'Video', however they're not visible in the share!? I have checked, double checked and rechecked and every folder/file in the share has the same permissions.

Now the real fun bit! If I rename 'Music' to 'Music,ssdfsd' I can see the folders underneath it in the share, however one or two folder below 'Videos' are not visible either. Yet if I rename 'Music' to 'Audio' the sub folders are still not visible.

I've tried everything and I'm utterly stumped by this. Anyone any ideas????

Any help much appreciated!!

Paul.

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Don't know if this will work for you, but I was having weird problems with shares and I unticked 'use simple file sharing' then unshared everything.

Then re-shared everything and used 'replace permission entries on all child objects.....' under the security tab.

lisa