Windows server 2008 R2 problems?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by leeno382, Mar 7, 2013.

1. leeno382

leeno382

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hello folks, was wondering if anyone could be kind enough to help me out here, I have been setting up a network for my friend, he has 3 windows 7 systems and 1 Windows server 2008 r2. So thats 4 systems in total, he wants sage networked so the other 3 systems can use the 1 version of sage, Now i have set this up as a workgroup rather than a domain on the server, and i have installed sage onto the server and just shared his sage accounts folder, so they are now accessable from the other 3 windows 7 systems.

My question is, how can i hide this folder, or password protect it, to stop someone on one of the 3 systems, deleting this sage accounts folder i have shared? if this happens, it could cause mayhem? is this possible at all? thanks folks.

2. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    You should really have setup a domain for better security and management. But, you need to have an account for each user that will be using the PCs and server. The password and user name must match on all systems. You then need to change the security rights on the folder to stop these user deleting the contents. It maybe better to add certain users to certain groups and restrict access by the group. No user should have admin rights. All this is a lot easier using a domain.

3. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,716
    If you used a proper "domain" environment, each user would "login" to the domain from any machine using a single set of credential, therefore you wouldn't have any issues "synchronising" accounts & passwords between machine and could set permissions on a "per user" basis. It would be much more robust.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  4. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Unless he has paid for the extra users then he using the sage software illegally and breaking the live se agreement. You have to pay for each user

5. internetuser

internetuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    A $ at the end of a share name hides it.

6. leeno382

leeno382

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Yes was going to setup a domain, but as the 3 users are directors i didnt think it would make any difference, i have tried the $ to hide the shared folder, i tried this on the server, but the folder was still visable? Is it easy to switch over from workgroup to Domain? thanks for your help guys

7. TopGunner1978

TopGunner1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    In Server 2008 you can create a $ share and hide the folder.

Make sure you have done this from 'Advance Sharing' (right click folder | Sharing tab | Advance Sharing button.

With this done when you browse the server eg \\server1\ it would list all available shares, the $ share should not be visable.

8. leeno382

leeno382

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Thanks TopGunner, will try that, wont be able to do it till monday :) thanks mate

So if i have got this right here, I make a sharedfolder followed by $ but in the meantime put sage accounts in this folder? then none of the 3 systems should be able to see it? correct?

9. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,716
    Putting a $ on the end of a Windows share name only "hides" it in the sense that it is "not advertised." If you happen to know the name of it, you can still get access whether it is "hidden" or not.

So, for example, is I create a share called \\server\dave$, dave$ won't appear in the list of share when I browse the server, but if I open up a command line or use the Explorer and type \\server\dave$ I get dropped straight in to it.

Everyone "in the business," for example, knows that Windows sets up several "hidden" share names be default. And because we know what they are called, we can hack straight in to them. "Proper" user names and file/folder permissions is the only way to ensure privacy.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013