Windows Phone 8.1

Reaction score
Having read up on the update,

Impressed with the approach MS is taking with this, even if it is a little "been there done that" with other platforms. Good to see them embrace change.

To the point I'm thinking my Nexus 5 may be replaced with a 925 :eek:

Other peoples thoughts on the update?

I too an thinking of jumping. Although I do have an 820 that's just needs a new LCD which I may sort out and try it on there before jumping completely

I've recently made the jump to WP8 on a Lumia 1020 from a iPhone 4s and have no complaints at all, and the 8.1 update will be the icing on the cake.
Ok, the action centre is nothing ios and android haven't done already but a welcome addition to a very good os with a lot of potential imho.

I hope we don't have to wait to long for it to start rolling out to existing handsets.

I went from a Nexus4 to a 920 as Tesco were doing them cheap. Never had a Windows phone and fancied a change from Android, which IMO is becoming a bit stale as an os, couldn't be happier. Ok the apps are a bit limited but honestly how many apps do you have on an Android phone that you use constantly that you couldn't get on a WP. Live tiles are sweet too.

Anybody else got the 8.1 update?
I personally think its great and a big step forward. Just need the app store to improve then windows phone would be wicked.

I've got a Lumia 1520 but have a Mac, am I able to get the update?

Ive got the update on my 925 and so far it seems really good.

The option to add more tiles is very welcome, looks much better. Got cortana working too, bit of a gimmick but seems better than siri on my 4s.

Only downside is the store isnt working at the moment,

Ive got the update on my 925 and so far it seems really good.

The option to add more tiles is very welcome, looks much better. Got cortana working too, bit of a gimmick but seems better than siri on my 4s.

Only downside is the store isnt working at the moment,
You in the US then mate? Or is there a way of getting cortana working here in the UK?
Glad its not just me the store isnt working for.

Quite liking the 8.1 OS - the background pic is pretty cool, and I like the extra tilespace.
Notification centre is handy, especially the shortcut access to WiFi, etc.

Not had a chance to play with WiFi Sense yet, but the option to pre-fill the info should be a winner.
Not so keen on them breaking the Facebook integration - that was a feature of 8.0 I really liked. Don't understand why they took it out.

## Update ##

Think I'm gonna need to turn Cortana off again - its trashing the battery life !

Last edited:
Missed that - which bit of FB integration is broken? The photos (gallery) app?

No, the ability to text via Facebook messaging rather than just SMS - I used to be able to toggle between them. I can post on their Facebook timeline, but not send them a message directly without firing up the app.

Now you mention it, I don't like the removal of the FB albums either - I do approve of the addition of a Whatsapp album though (at least, I'm assuming its new as I'd never noticed it before).

I had TV show as video files on my phone. They are still there but I cant work out howe to play them... can see them under Vidoe or Music.

Where have this gone?

Well they use to just play from the Music + Video hub... but I cant find a way to get to them now.

All in all there are a few overlooked aspects of 8.1... but they are tiny things and all the new stuff more than makes up for it.

I've also disabled cortana. Battery went down big time and the overall performance of the phone was affected. Cortana is always on,always looking out and always monitoring for gps co-ordinates,time etc (if you use these reminders) which sounds great but not good on bettery life.

I grabbed the 8.1 update via the developer program for my lumia 1020, the notification/action centre is a very welcome addition, as is the ability to have phone contacts only rather than all your FB contacts listed too.I'm not to bothered about the FB integration as I'm not a big user of FB.The ability to have a extra row of tiles is great, I've not tried Cortana yet but will prolly wait till the official release for that.
I dare say there's plenty more to try, but as it is, I see no need to go back to ios, I just could do with a HSBC banking app then, all's good for me.

Oh, swipe keyboard seems to work well, just need to get used to it ;)

Installed 8.1 today on my Lumia 920. I'm glad that they implemented a swype keyboard as I really missed that from Android. Not too fussed about the notification centre. Separate volume controls are a welcome addition.

So I take it everyone is doing it via the developers option? Haven't seen my 920 mention anything about an update and knowing vodafone it won't be anytime soon.

So I take it everyone is doing it via the developers option? Haven't seen my 920 mention anything about an update and knowing vodafone it won't be anytime soon.

Yeah - I'm using a 920 too, though on Orange, and went down the Dev route. Think it was worth it - doesn't appear to have broken anything vital :)

Are there any downsides to upgrading a lumia 920 to 8.1 i.e. does it break anything , do any apps disappear , tempted to give it a go today as I'm impatient

Not really, the new swipe keyboard is worth it alone for me. Do a bit of googling first though, once you upgrade you cannot go back...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom