Windows Phone 7.8 questions

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by MrMister111, Mar 1, 2013.

1. MrMister111

MrMister111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Looking at getting a Windows phone for my Dad, he's used phones for years, he's 70+ but wants a decent camera with his phone now.

I like the look of the font, big icons and easy of use for him over Android.

Is the HTC Radar any good? Is the camera decent?

He won't use any Internet it will just be for talk, text and camera (can you imagine ;) )

Can you add a person/people tile to the home screen so he could just tap on it to call or text?

Could I just have on the screen a phone, text, camera, and individual people tile on?

Can I switch off Internet? I know my iPhone 5 has a switch to disable mobile data.

Do you have the option of a "normal" keyboard. I mean a one on basic phones ABC, DEF etc? Is it easy to swap

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. Jakeway

Jakeway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    OS is really simple. You can pin both people and groups of people to the front. You could indeed have poeple, text and camera just one the front.

I am a bit unsure about data... but if the SIM card doesn't allow of data then it wont go online. There are also keyboard option but I cant really what they all do as I just use the QWERTY one on with the phone on its side.

One drawback to 7.8 is the lack of a font size option. This was fixed in Windows 8.

3. MrMister111

MrMister111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Thanks

So you could have a tile with "wife" on, tap it and it calls that contact? Or does it just open the contact?

Ah font size might be a prob then because of his age, can you elaborate a little please. You can't increase the font size? You can't on iPhone as such either and he says its fine on that, is it particularly small on 7.8? Phone looking at is the radar with a 3.8" screen.

Cheers

4. Jakeway

Jakeway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    If you pin a contact you'll be given options to call or text or email that person. It is pretty clear to understand. If you tap and swipe over you will see other stuff like Facebook / Twitter updates (if you hook that stuff up).

There are no font size options what so ever on a Windows Phone 7, and the font itself can be quite small in some menus.

Its a real shame as otherwise it would be a good phone for older people as the OS is so wonderfully simple and clear. I known four people over 50 with a Windows Phone 7 and they have no issues using them, other than one person who cant read phone numbers from the contacts details pages very well.

Still this was an issue they fixed in WP8, you can make font huge which works across the whole OS. It was my hope they would bring this to 7.8 at a later date... but you cant really live in hope. He may well be alright with the front size on 7.8 but it also might be worth spending the extra and trying to get a really cheap WP8. The HTC 8S is pretty cheap as is the Nokia 620.

5. 1iam5mith

1iam5mith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +812
    I wouldn't get the radar again! I had one, terrible death grip! Then got one for my Mother, hers the same! She now has a Lumia 800 and loves it! Windows Phone 7/7.5/7.8/8 is good, just a shame about notifications really :/

6. MrMister111

MrMister111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Oh I'm looking at a radar here, please tell more. Is it a bad phone for signal then? Also no notifications at all you say on 7.8?

What's the camera like on it?

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  7. 1iam5mith

1iam5mith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +812
    You get notifications, just ver, VERY poor for Twitter and Facebook. Camera isn't bad, not as good as on the 800, but not bad. Also I could barley make a call without it cutting out! Death grip has been bad on both Radars I have tried to make a call on. Personally I would go for a Lumia 800 if you want a windows 7.8 phone ... you can get a brand new Lumia 800 for £130, battery life is better on the 800 also :D

My mother couldn't stand having to hold the phone a certain way to make a call or text, so sold it and bought her a 800, which you can hold anyway :D

And comes with a free case for it in the box :p

8. MrMister111

MrMister111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Facebook and twitter won't bother my Dad who it's for, in fact he won't even have Internet on it (imagine :0). He only wants a phone for talk, text and a decent camera.

I've just done a Google and can't see anything specific on Radar death grip, just general, not saying that you didn't, and to have 2 Radars is worrying I agree.

I agree there are better phones, he just doesn't want to spend much at all, and he literally won't use Internet, just talk, text and wants a camera (his current phone is only VGA crappy old Motorola thing off years ago). This radar I will hopefully get for £65. Worth it?

Windows phone seems really easy to use, I've never had one, but I like the look of whereby I can put a big tile for phone, messaging, camera and shortcut to call me, siblings etc.

9. 1iam5mith

1iam5mith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +812
    What about a Lumia 710 or 610? Less risk of death grip.

Also should be able to get for the same price

Obviously I hope it doesn't, but if ever he has an accident or fall or emergency, you wouldn't want him not to be able to contact you or anyone because of holding it wrong

10. Stiggy

Stiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,043
    My 76-year old Dad has an LG phone running WP7.5. He loves it!

It's a very simple interface to learn and use.

11. MrMister111

MrMister111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    That's great news thanks. I literally has 2 mins in a shop using it, I loved the font and size if stuff. I'm hoping to stretch the tiles so he literally has phone, text, camera on.

Also I believe v7.8 allows you to resize tiles if you can update.